Does anyone have first hand experience of an archeaological survey

Post and beam

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Just in case someone wants you to dig it again.

I have not wanted to be cantankerous, even with all the irritating procedural rubbish flowing my way, but if i was asked to get this dug again after it was signed off by the relevant authority i can imagine mister angry will make an appearance. They can do one.

We had a condition to our planning requiring an "archaeology" report. I sighed thinking that's another £xxxx to find. So I asked what they wanted and it turned out it was a combo of detailed photos of our old house pre-demolition and a narration of the history of the plot etc. 

So I asked if we could prepare such a report ourselves and the City Archaeologist agreed. My partner takes an interest in local history so had already done most of the research. I have a good quality camera and tripod. We made our own surveyor's ranging rod by painting a broomstick red and white and set to work.

It took a lot of work and hours collating but we were commended for our work by the CA and it was satisfying to save a shedload of cash that would otherwise have gone down the drain.

• Like 1

We had that and what a sensible requirement. 

For us and the world it is a document of the previous use and layout of a farm building.

It is available to all on the Internet along with other such buildings. 

I'm sure the powers would have rejected the record if not good enough. 

We removed stable stalls, and flooring, rotten doors, filled in drains and equipment paraphernalia. Interesting but there was no way of saving it. 

We also found writing on doors, 'we were here' by some local lads 50 years before, and notes of sheep numbers off to market....and are trying to preserve these.

1 hour ago, markharro said:

It took a lot of work and hours collating but we were commended for our work by the CA and it was satisfying to save a shedload of cash that would otherwise have gone down the drain

Would think it was quite interesting as well.

My house is built on an old scrapyard, that used to be an undertakers.

image.png.fb7c70ad0f7f233424a42fac002a71af.png

Would scare me to meet him walking home from work.

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Would scare me to meet him walking home from work

I had a holiday job in a cemetery. Saw the man in the hat up close, and noticed he had lots of white powder on his face, for effect....oops wandering off subject. Pressing submit anyway.

• Haha 1

On 05/05/2023 at 13:22, Furnace said:

I'll report back on the outcome

Council archaeology officer regarded my DIY ADBA as insufficient and is requiring a pre-commencement condition of a 'field evaluation'. This is typically digging some trenches that are monitored and examined by an archaeologist. I sense that this would have been required anyway, so I've avoided spending £2k on an ADBA. However, the planning officer believes the 'field evaluation' is an onerous requirement and has suggested that a 'watching brief from an archaeologist when excavations are taking place' should be sufficient. That would be similar to @saveasteading's experience. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

This is the amended and approved wording of the archaeological condition:
Prior to commencement of development, the applicant, or their agents or successors in title, will secure the implementation of a watching brief to be undertaken by an archaeologist approved by the Local Planning Authority so that the excavation is observed and items of interest and finds are recorded. The watching brief shall be in accordance with a written programme and specification which has been submitted to and approved by the Local Planning Authority.

I think it's about the best we can have expected, although the content of the 'programme and specification' is yet to be agreed.

Anyone know a tame archaeologist nr. Sevenoaks?