Open cell foam insulation

anonymous

So I've seen this 

https://www.rics.org/content/dam/ricsglobal/documents/press-releases/Spray foam insulation consumer guide_March2023.pdf

And from what I see, it seems we're back at square one? One of the dos is to contact your mortgage vendor 

Realistically people had to do that before the current advice too. To me, that means potentially cutting yourself off from most of the market 

And it doesn't necessarily mean that mortgage provider accepts it in the future too

Have people had it done? Was it easy to mortgage? Were the rates the same? If you've sold it, was it easy to sell? 

Like most things it all depends on how it's applied.

If it's behind a vapour barrier to keep internal moisture out and has a breather membrane on the outside, and not spayed directly on the membrane you are getting there.

Spraying in a ventilated roof space with out vapour barrier and suitable external membrane and closing off ventilation routes, you are asking for trouble.

• Thanks 1

If it was as easy (relatively) to remove as normal, retrofitted loft insulation, then there would not be a problem.

Trouble is, it is often sold on its ability to 'stick' old roofs back together, which makes it, by default, horrible to remove.

17 minutes ago, anonymous said:

And from what I see, it seems we're back at square one? One of the dos is to contact your mortgage vendor 

Realistically people had to do that before the current advice too

Like a lot of rules, regulations and laws, it seems to be just clarification of what was already there.

23 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If it was as easy (relatively) to remove as normal, retrofitted loft insulation, then there would not be a problem.

Trouble is, it is often sold on its ability to 'stick' old roofs back together, which makes it, by default, horrible to remove.

Like a lot of rules, regulations and laws, it seems to be just clarification of what was already there.

Thanks. Given that's the case, perhaps best to leave out? Purely based on the potential inability to mortgage? And even if you can mortgage, you're shutting yourself off from most vendors? 

Not hard to find people with mortgage problems..

500 people group action.. 

https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2023/2/hundreds-of-claims-to-be-made-for-mis-sold-spray-foam-insulation

Somewhat ironic they use blasting with dry ice (aka C02) to remove it..

https://www.allseasonsweb.co.uk/sprayfoamremoval?gclid=CjwKCAiAmJGgBhAZEiwA1JZollZVnp6w2EkUIfKT56Vq_oEQqNQJ0EQPgcOiClZc_nQ66aYcnbQ-fRoCfpIQAvD_BwE

osed Cell Dry Ice Blasting & Open Cell Spray Foam Removal

Over the last 4 years we have been been inundated with spray foam insulation removal requests, one of the main reasons for this is mortgage/equity release lenders refusal to finance properties with spray foam insulation both open & closed cell.

Snip

The majority of the properties we remove spray foam from have moisture retention. You will be able to see from the clip below where the foam has held in moisture (darker areas) and also trapped it between the felt and foam causing damp and rot to the felt and wooden structure.

3 minutes ago, Temp said:

Thanks. I've seen people with inability to mortgage but that was before the current advice. 

The company that I was looking at was Home Logic who apparently have all the relevant certifications, and therefore have the relevant ability to know how to design it too 

But honestly, it doesn't matter if it's the best material ever with regards to insulation, if it's still an issue with regards to mortgage vendors, then I'd not necessarily want it 

6 minutes ago, anonymous said:

I've seen people with inability to mortgage but that was before the current advice. 

Does not matter if every single lender will lend against it, except one.  If the purchaser has the loan with the one that does not lend, they are not buying your house.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Does not matter if every single lender will lend against it, except one.  If the purchaser has the loan with the one that does not lend, they are not buying your house.

That's a fair shout. I'll steer away from it then