To Sill or not to Sill

rmillener

All, 

Am fitting new front and rear doors as the current ones are plain awful, old wooden ones - warmer outside than inside half the time.

The question is would you add a sill to these doors? They are both very well protected. I would be tempted not to and just have a 55mm threshold to give the best seal. I will also be removing the tiles on the front door and re-tiling. 

The back door step may also be tiled in the future too. To add a sill would be 180mm sill on the front and 150mm for the rear. 

My understanding is the main aim of the sill is to drain rainwater away but both don't get any rain due to them being so sheltered.

Thanks
Rich

Front Door 1.jpg

Front Door 2.jpg

Back Door 1.jpg

10 hours ago, rmillener said:

Am fitting new front and rear doors as the current ones are plain awful, old wooden ones - warmer outside than inside half the time.

Out of interest, Is it the door itself or the sealing (or lack of) or glazing that's the problem?

Solid timber doors can have similar U-values to UPVC or composites. It's usually single glazing and poor weather sealing strips that lets them down.

On 28/02/2023 at 22:22, Radian said:

Out of interest, Is it the door itself or the sealing (or lack of) or glazing that's the problem?

Solid timber doors can have similar U-values to UPVC or composites. It's usually single glazing and poor weather sealing strips that lets them down.

On this occasion it is age... single pane glass, holes in the frame where the previous owner drilled holes in them to pass wires through 🙄 and non-existent seals. So just needs brought into the 21st century. I did consider solid timber, with my partners dad being a retired joiner, but I already have him booked up with other work so I think I will go composite 😁