SunAmp & Eddi not communicating

D_T

Hello all, 

Another 3 years since my last post, and unfortunately once again it's Sunamp related. We have separate 3kW and 6 kW SunAmp PV's installed back in 2018, despite some early installation issues we've had fairly reliable hot water since 2019. However in the last few weeks we've noticed that our larger 'tank' is no longer filling up at all - it appears to have gone into the cold start mode to protect the PCM.

Our Eddi diverter is still talking happily to the smaller unit, but when we try 'boost' mode on the larger one it just puts 0kW in (although still tries to boost for 60 minutes). When we have excess PV, the diverter tries the larger unit and then just bypasses it and charges the smaller one or exports to grid.

I intend to call SunAmp when I'm at home and can push various buttons, but thought I'd ask the question on here first in case anyone has had something similar. My assumption is it must be something to do with temperature sensors and the Eddi assuming the tank is full when it's actually stone cold.

Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, D_T said:

Hello all, 

Another 3 years since my last post, and unfortunately once again it's Sunamp related. We have separate 3kW and 6 kW SunAmp PV's installed back in 2018, despite some early installation issues we've had fairly reliable hot water since 2019. However in the last few weeks we've noticed that our larger 'tank' is no longer filling up at all - it appears to have gone into the cold start mode to protect the PCM.

Our Eddi diverter is still talking happily to the smaller unit, but when we try 'boost' mode on the larger one it just puts 0kW in (although still tries to boost for 60 minutes). When we have excess PV, the diverter tries the larger unit and then just bypasses it and charges the smaller one or exports to grid.

I intend to call SunAmp when I'm at home and can push various buttons, but thought I'd ask the question on here first in case anyone has had something similar. My assumption is it must be something to do with temperature sensors and the Eddi assuming the tank is full when it's actually stone cold.

Thanks in advance.

Has the heater relay simply failed open/off?

Rgds

Damon

Thanks both. 

19 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Not something as simple as a tripped MCB?

The SunAmp in question is on the same RCD  in our consumer unit as the Eddi. Nothing had tripped but I tried flicking that off and on again. Nothing has changed unfortunately and no other RCD's have tripped.

14 hours ago, DamonHD said:

Has the heater relay simply failed open/off?

Not sure if that's the same question, or involves taking the cover off the controller unit? SteamyTea has previously given a helpful post on how to do this (once isolated) so it's probably my next thing to try. I'll talk to SunAmp first though. 

May be worth mentioning that both SunAmps were installed with 2 localised switches each next to their controllers. One of these is a switched fused spur which also supplies the Eddi - I've previously found the 13a fuse in this spur to be a bit temperamental, especially when the sun is out and we're generating lots of PV power. However, since the Eddi appears to be functioning with no issues, I've currently ruled this out.

5 minutes ago, D_T said:

I've currently ruled this out.

Worth checking, may be as simple as a loose wire.

6 minutes ago, D_T said:

SteamyTea has previously given a helpful post on how to do this (once isolated) so it's probably my next thing to try.

Wasn't me.

But worth looking at, probably not that complicated once the lid is off.

I do seem to remember that the early ones had problems with them, and the boards they were connected to.

UPDATE: I rang SunAmp technical (since we bought directly from them) and they were very helpful. After isolating and looking at both the temp sensor on the top and the service cover on the front of the unit, it turned out to be a tripped Overheating Cutout (little red brown cross) which I have since reset. Before this I didn't even know that the front plate concealed a cutout, so I've definitely learned something in all this.

Now everything appears to be working again, so I can't fault SunAmp on their customer support for this issue. 

On 28/02/2023 at 12:15, SteamyTea said:

Wasn't me.

Oops, sorry I meant Jeremy Harris (I knew it was someone from the other building forum). 

Thanks again for all your input everyone. 

• Thanks 1