Cable for lighting

Pocster

Experimenting with stuff .

Got loads of reels this wire. Tried to use it but it's solid core , stiff, tricky to cut as it's flat not round.

Assume it's not for lighting; what would it be for?

IMG_7340.thumb.jpg.af65d14e21937f1317996acacc4ed2b9.jpg

Got just a bit of this - which I used for lighting experiment.

This ok?

IMG_7339.thumb.jpg.18819566b4c94c90d0db73c0332bd3ed.jpg

Is there a better type of wire I should use for lighting circuits?. All 240v but low wattage LED lights.

TA!

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Define what you mean "for lighting"

99% of lighting wiring done by electricians is done with 1mm twin and earth.

Erm 🫤. Socket on wall . Plug from that into wireless dimmer unit .Dimmer into a chain of LED down lighters .

Any idea what those 2 reels of cable might be used for ? The 1st one ( pink box ) sparky said I would need - got about 5 reels of that ….

Ah so not fixed wiring.  A small round flex will do, probably 0.5mm is okay it all depends on the terminals in the light fittings and what size cable they are comfortable with.

It's the downlighters that will be the pinch point.  Do they actually have terminals for 2 cables to loop through properly?  Many don't and you get just one set of terminals to fit 2 cables in, and a cable clamp really only designed to clamp a single cable.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Ah so not fixed wiring.  A small round flex will do, probably 0.5mm is okay it all depends on the terminals in the light fittings and what size cable they are comfortable with.

It's the downlighters that will be the pinch point.  Do they actually have terminals for 2 cables to loop through properly?  Many don't and you get just one set of terminals to fit 2 cables in, and a cable clamp really only designed to clamp a single cable.

Thanks 

The down lighters will be permanent I.e be treated as “ fixed “ .

The lights do have in/out connectors for looping - so no 2 cables in 1 hole .

Does it matter if cable is solid or not ? . Prefer non solid core as flexibility is easier .

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Low Smoke and Fume cable I think is horrible stuff to work with, the insulation is much more stiff and springy than normal cable.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/cable/cat8960001?cableproducttype=twin___earth&conductorarea=1_mm_&cm_sp=managedredirect-_-electrical-_-1mmtwinearth

But they are all solid core …