Internal garage conversion and new garage build

We’ve got an internal garage, about 8m X 4m it’s fully plastered, insulated and triple glazed. 
I’d like a bit more space for a rudimentary gym and to have the table tennis table up more easily. So I’m thinking about taking the garage door out and replacing with a set of French doors. 
We’d then built out to the beck side another 8x5 (narrowing to 8x4) alongside. 
I can’t quite get my head round if this needs planning or not. 
Given the proximity to the beck I’m minded to go for SIPs on a simple concrete raft foundation. Any guidance here would be welcome! 

@Lesgrandepotato I don't believe you need Planning Permission to replace the garage door with a window provided the materials match those used on the rest of the house. This is somewhat open to interpretation, the style of the window may matter.  The planners might argue full height French doors aren't a "match" for the other windows on the front of the house.

Regarding the side extension. You don't normally need planning permission provided..

It's not more than 4 meters high.

Not more than half the width of the original house before any other extensions were added.

Doesn't extend in front or more than 3 meters behind.

Not in a designated area.

Not in breach of conditions in the planning grant for the original house.

Not between existing house and a highway or footpath. (I think).

If there have been other extensions already built things can get pretty complicated.

There is a technical guide here..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/permitted-development-rights-for-householders-technical-guidance

If planning permission isn't required but you want to formally check if something will be OK under Permitted Development you can apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development. This requires the planners to check and confirm if your proposal requires planning permission or not. It should be an objective process (is it lawful or not) whereas a planning application can be decided on more subjective grounds (does it look in keeping or not). Unfortunately the amount of info and the costs are similar I think.

Another possibility is to pay them for Pre Application advice but you normally have to provide drawings and in some areas the planners are overloaded and you may not get much advice. Legally they have to process Planning Applications where as I don't think there is anything that requires them to give lots of advice.