Comparable Size

MDC

Can anyone demonstrate what the phrase "comparable size" means in planning law, please?

Can a replacement dwelling be comparable to:

The existing dwelling

The existing dwelling plus permitted development rights

Other dwellings in the vicinity

Something else I've not thought of?

Very dependent on the local planners. They tend to look at the elevations so "filling in" the corner of an L shape house might be less objectionable that making one arm of the L longer because the overall size of each elevation hasn't changed.

There is also a hard to pin down "thing" that makes some proposals just look massive compared to other houses of a similar size. Things like the proportion of windows to walls.

Planners like extension to be subservient to the main house like this (eg slightly smaller in height and depth). I know you aren't doing an extension but its details like this that can help make a large place look smaller and more in keeping with the houses around it.

Residential Design Guide Consultation Draft - Residential Design Guide -  Section 2 Supplementary Planning Document Consultation Draft - North  Somerset Council Consultations

There is a massive new house a few miles from us where the architect took this principle to extreme. The house consists of about 5 or 6 blocks each one subservient to the main house. I haven't been passed it in awhile but as I recall one is a room over an archway and that links to rooms above a large garage. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2023 at 15:13, Temp said:

Very dependent on the local planners. They tend to look at the elevations so "filling in" the corner of an L shape house might be less objectionable that making one arm of the L longer because the overall size of each elevation hasn't changed.

There is also a hard to pin down "thing" that makes some proposals just look massive compared to other houses of a similar size. Things like the proportion of windows to walls.

Planners like extension to be subservient to the main house like this (eg slightly smaller in height and depth). I know you aren't doing an extension but its details like this that can help make a large place look smaller and more in keeping with the houses around it.

Residential Design Guide Consultation Draft - Residential Design Guide -  Section 2 Supplementary Planning Document Consultation Draft - North  Somerset Council Consultations

There is a massive new house a few miles from us where the architect took this principle to extreme. The house consists of about 5 or 6 blocks each one subservient to the main house. I haven't been passed it in awhile but as I recall one is a room over an archway and that links to rooms above a large garage. 

Nice tip, thank you!