Timber frame companies recommendation

Hi all. We have a house design which we are finally happy with. As we are close in proximity to Potton they are an obvious choice for the project. Does anyone have recommendations for alternatives please. If anyone has used Potton those experiences of particular interest! We are looking for a weathertight package for a timber clad/render build. Thanks.

most TF companies will offer a timber frame and windows but to get to weather tight you'd need the roof being put on as well. this is normally out of scope for TF companies, at least it was when i was looking.

i presume you're going to project manage the rest of the project post weather tight superstructure erection? if so, what's stopping you from sourcing your own roofer? that way you're not limiting yourself to companies that offer the roof as part of the erection.

Potton are doing our house. They are currently proposing a 2 stage offering.

# Erect frame

# Weathertight. They have specified the glazing  and roof tiles.

They will also now optionally do the foundations if you ask. Apparently they have issues with accuracy when done by others

2 hours ago, Post and beam said:

Potton are doing our house. They are currently proposing a 2 stage offering.

# Erect frame

# Weathertight. They have specified the glazing  and roof tiles.

They will also now optionally do the foundations if you ask. Apparently they have issues with accuracy when done by others

Thanks for your reply.

Don't they offer a choice of glazing and tiles? We would like slate and Rationel Windows. Do they specify fitters?

Thanks

They do offer a choice of glazing. From a list of 2 in our case, Rationel and a company in Suffolk. We have gone with Rationel Alu clad. They used to favour Bereco solid wood. Perhaps we dont look like we can afford those!

The people they specify are themselves. Who that actually turns out to be is unknown at the moment.

You can use any window supplier you like, but they usually go with Bereco or Rational yes. I don’t work for them btw but I’ve been around a bit happy to share info.

Any roof or external finish is fine also. They don’t suggest fitters, you would pick your own contractor and they would subcontract this out.

Potton would do your frame design and erect.

31 minutes ago, Papillon said:

Any roof or external finish is fine also. They don’t suggest fitters, you would pick your own contractor and they would subcontract this out.

what benefit does this give over simply finding your own roofer and managing yourself? seems to me that they'll just cream a little off the top for the service without really offering any benefit.

if you have to find your own contractor then i just don't get it.

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

what benefit does this give over simply finding your own roofer and managing yourself? seems to me that they'll just cream a little off the top for the service without really offering any benefit.

if you have to find your own contractor then i just don't get it.

Other than convenience in that the kit erection is to watertight. I had the same quandary. The kit company had on costs for the roofing material and fitting so it didn’t make sense to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kelvin said:

Other than convenience in that the kit erection is to watertight. I had the same quandary. The kit company had on costs for the roofing material and fitting so it didn’t make sense to me. 

ok. i get the convenience but if the contract is just to watertight and you're going to have to find a contractor/subbies to finish off the build then i would've thought sourcing the roofer yourself and saving some money would be pretty trivial.

37 minutes ago, Papillon said:

Except that this is not my experience with them.

As i said earlier. They have offered a phase 2 subsequent to the frame erection ( phase 1). Within this phase 2 quote they have specified Redland rosemary clay tiles and were not keen on me looking for an alternative.

Now, it is true that i can find my own contractor to take the project to weathertight. This would give me all the freedom i want to choose.

But, i like the idea of Potton doing both phase 1 and 2. Just wish they were a little more flexible.

Its a call i need to make soon as to which way i go

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Post and beam said:

Except that this is not my experience with them.

As i said earlier. They have offered a phase 2 subsequent to the frame erection ( phase 1). Within this phase 2 quote they have specified Redland rosemary clay tiles and were not keen on me looking for an alternative.

Now, it is true that i can find my own contractor to take the project to weathertight. This would give me all the freedom i want to choose.

But, i like the idea of Potton doing both phase 1 and 2. Just wish they were a little more flexible.

Its a call i need to make soon as to which way i go

You can absolutely pick what tiles you want, put your foot down. Take it to the boss if you need to, it’s your house and you don’t have to do that just to make it easier for them to calc/draw… assuming there’s no good reason to do with pitches etc

1 hour ago, Papillon said:

You can absolutely pick what tiles you want, put your foot down. Take it to the boss if you need to, it’s your house and you don’t have to do that just to make it easier for them to calc/draw… assuming there’s no good reason to do with pitches etc

I had a bit of this with our timber kit - “we don’t do that”. I can understand it from their PoV in that they want to do what they’ve done before because it’s easier for them. But it’s your house and your money so insist. They might well want to charge you more though.