Detail for overhang

Frank123

Hi, we are currently self building an extension with standard block cavity walls on the ground floor and timber frame on the first floor.

We have an overhang over an alleyway that is supported on blocks one side and steel the other.

Do I need a VCL under the overhang section? The internal walls will be taped 30mm PIR 

This is a crude sketch of the detail I was thinking. Inner skin will continue to top of joists. Insulation in overhang floor will tie in with cavity insulation. 

I’ll also attach a photo for reference

Thanks

70063B99-8577-4392-85B4-C8A690314226.jpeg

ADE06C5E-A832-4708-BBA2-76CAF5CE3DE4.jpeg

Hi Dave

The joists pictured are for the first floor. 
In effect the section under the overhang will be a cold roof upside down? Just don’t know if VCL should go below the joists or above.

The pitched vaulted roof above first floor will have 165mm PIR insulation with 30mm PIR taped to form VCL 

Don’t know if this will help? 

image.jpg

Thanks @Iceverge will consider that.

At the moment it’s just the full fill cavity insulation. Wanted to check the VCL detail before insulating. 

I have building control coming out Wednesday so will run both options past them but the non-shrinkage makes sense as this could be a big thermal bridge. 

If you use something like caberdeck flooring over the joists and are careful to glue all the joints with foaming glue this will do fine as a VCL. Use a flexible mastic at the perimeter. 

If you want to be belt and braces make an insulated service under the caberdeck and then a taped VCL. 

image.thumb.png.e62b09e0f0f18bd9419286143109d298.png

I'm guessing at the joist spacing here and sizes. 

If you run 50mm battens at 90deg under the main joists (can't show it here) and then some 50mm insulation in-between it'll eliminate most of the repeating bridging.  Make sure the membrane is well taped as this will be a windy corner and you don't want wind blowing into your floor. 

22mm airgap and then cement boards. It'll be a good spec. If you use denser batts like Rockwool it'll make a difference with noise for the room above too. 

• Like 1

On 17/02/2023 at 22:22, Iceverge said:

If you use something like caberdeck flooring over the joists and are careful to glue all the joints with foaming glue this will do fine as a VCL. Use a flexible mastic at the perimeter. 

If you want to be belt and braces make an insulated service under the caberdeck and then a taped VCL. 

sigh. no this isnt a VCL. These bodges are all too common.