Supply and Fit: still 0 rated after successful VAT reclaim?

The Problem:

• Does HMRC formally regard a building as Complete  after a successful VAT reclaim? 

If HMRC  does regard it as Complete, then a company engaged on Supply and Fit (after the successful reclaim) , cannot 0 rate the VAT

But if it doesn't, then a company engaged on a Supply and Fit basis can work without charging VAT

We've successfully reclaimed our VAT. Because VAT431NB (section 3) doesn't give any guidance on the matter, I rang the HMRC helpline. Their answer was that the question was one that should be answered by the supplier.

I asked where the supplier should get their guidance on the matter. The answer was that guidance was to be found in Section 3 of VAT431NB.

A slightly different way of asking the same question is;

Does a newbuild have two Completion states - one defined by the HMRC, and another by  BCOs ?

Edited by ToughButterCup

I did my VAT claim on a temporary habitation certificate and they paid out.  At that point it was NOT complete by building control and one supply and fit supplier had no problem zero rating it.  I did not even mention that I had done my VAT clam, just that it was not signed off as complete by building control.

• Thanks 1