Garage roof

Bryera

Hay guys and girls looking at taking down this wall in the garage it's an unused toilet so wanted to us the space for more garage room but moving a brick out I see the support is sitting on that wall for weight, is there anything I can do ? 

IMG20230208125235.jpg

IMG20230208125228.jpg

Thanks guys So I am getting a RSJ and going to be supporting it from that then I will be looking at taking the wall down what are people thought on this ? I feel that is the only way I can do it as that wall is definitely coming down 👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by Bryera

You could get some 1/4" steel plate and stich down both sides of the timber ( to form a steel splint to join the wood sections together ). Would be entirely possible as long as there isnt any issue with the wood.

If it were mine, it would be an RSJ all day long. Steel RSJ's are cheap as chips tbh. But not to run under the joint, I'd go the whole run under the timber, end to end. What is the length of the garage from wall to wall?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

If it were mine, it would be an RSJ all day long. Steel RSJ's are cheap as chips tbh. But not to run under the joint, I'd go the whole run under the timber, end to end.

+1 to this.

• Like 1

It's to long for a steel all way

going to rsj under it and build frame and connect them steel plates think that should be enough plus I can do that then 👍🏻 got any pics of the steel plates your on about ?? 

Thanks guys 👍🏻👍🏻

If you are putting in a beam to replace the wall then not much else needed. Timber joining plates are often called mending placing plates similar to this that you screw or bolt across a joint, hedgehog plates aren’t practical with the timbers in situ.

C717EE9A-149B-4BBA-B360-D386C823E8F9.jpeg.45245abc6eaa93da1a81fd3f45db0c31.jpeg

• Thanks 1