Timber kit - site visits

Kelvin

This might just be my inexperience. 

Our kit is being delivered week commencing 17 April. The groundworks start in the next two weeks and will take about a month. The groundworks are separate from the timber kit. The timber kit company has just told me that their kit erector will visit the site two weeks prior to the 17 April to make sure the substructure is ok. This will be the first time anyone from the kit company or their contractor will have stepped foot on the site. We signed the contract almost a year ago. 

This just seems unacceptable to me. Why check the substructure after it’s built why not do as it’s being built? Is this normal? 

It just seems more prudent to check it while it’s being built to make sure it’s being done as required and, if not, corrections made at that point. Then a final check prior to kit erection.

It says in their contract they’ll do a site visit while the slab is setting and if there’s an issue either the slab or the kit will be adjusted. In my experience so far in dealing with them and everyone else 2 weeks to correct anything isn’t enough time. It takes them that long to reply to an email. Our foundation will be completed mid March so checking it then would make more sense to me. 

As the potential buyer of a timber frame house in the very near future( if we get our planning permission) i am very interested to hear who your kit company is.  My frame company have made a similar statement about checking the quality of the set out of the slab. Perfectly reasonable in the circumstances. I would be worried about penalties if there is a delay in them being able to bolt their frame down.

In fairness to my lot they have been on site and they are very responsive. Nothing for them to see on site yet as its just an orchard at the moment but they did visit when i asked them to.

Heb Homes

In hindsight I would have preferred MBC.

HH houses are beautiful (to my eyes I know they aren’t to everyone’s taste) but I’ve not found them very easy to deal with. Not sure if it’s me and them or just them. Too many errors, poor communication and response, poor attention to detail, everyone appears to be off sick all the time etc. We’re spending a lot of money with them but it doesn’t feel like it sometimes. 

Edited by Kelvin

Just make sure the foundations are built correctly! I was on top of the brickie laying our coursing blocks and double checking to make sure everything was within tolerance. It was so accurate that the TF erectors only needed packers under the sole plate in one very small section. Ironically I wasn’t around the morning the brickie laid that bit and the self-levelling laser wasn’t level so he was a bit out, even with a string line! 🤦‍♂️

it took a lot of effort to ensure it was all accurate but worth it in the end.