How do you fit wastes to low profile shower trays? Or do I go wet room floor?

One thing I have never done is a shower tray or wet-room floor. I have done bathrooms with baths, but not these, so I would like some help and guidance on how to go about a new shower. For me, a key requirement is near bomb-proof water tightness/proofing on the shower.

The bathroom is on the first floor so it is timber joists - my plan is to remove the whole floor, wire and plumb as required and replace the deck with 18mm ply. At this stage I assume I will have incorporated the floor level waste for the tray - do I just hook up a shower waste to the pipe in the right position, are they flexible - or do I need to get them sitting absolutely bang on before I offer up the tray? How do I then seal that to the shower tray? Is it just like a sink waste except installed into the tray from above? 

Or, do I put in one of these tanking kits, floor waste and tile it?

All thoughts, information and any photographs of these going in would be greatly appreciated. 

If you are going with a tiled floor on a wet room former, some of the wastes are multi directional, and also have a large lift out circle in the area the waste goes. 

They are all different according to make, but you basically rough in a waste pipe and then fit the former, lift out the large round bit and connect on the trap, then drop the big circle back into the former, tanking needs doing to top spec. 

Have a look at all the formers and trays they will have some fairly detailed instructions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you are going with a tiled floor on a wet room former, some of the wastes are multi directional, and also have a large lift out circle in the area the waste goes. 

They are all different according to make, but you basically rough in a waste pipe and then fit the former, lift out the large round bit and connect on the trap, then drop the big circle back into the former, tanking needs doing to top spec. 

Have a look at all the formers and trays they will have some fairly detailed instructions. 

I watched some videos today at lunch, looks like I will go for a Mira Flight tray, they seem to be bomb-proof according to skill builder. I just don't like the idea of a hidden waste connection that you fit and can't check. 

Edited by Carrerahill

6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

All wastes are top access ( aka “self-cleaning” ) with nothing underneath than waste fittings. There’s nothing to ‘get at’ so don’t worry about that ;)  

I waffle on considerably here;

Do you get solvent weld ones? I don't like the idea of the compression union which I cannot really fully water test until its buried!

Can you recommend a good waste? Anything McAlpine I assume?

I am tempted to start ordering all the bits and putting them in the garage.

21 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

Do you get solvent weld ones? I don't like the idea of the compression union which I cannot really fully water test until its buried!

Can you recommend a good waste? Anything McAlpine I assume?

I am tempted to start ordering all the bits and putting them in the garage.

You always have a push-fit or compression fitting immediately off the waste / trap. Some European stuff have a solvent weld fitting on an adjustable / universal joint but I’m not a fan of those tbh. 
I only recommend what I’ve been doing, leak free, for nearly 3 decades. 

McAlpine are ‘industry standard’, but other suppliers may do something different / more pleasing to the eye etc. Impey stuff is bombproof.

Order as you need things, unless you have safe, secure storage where these things don’t have to be moved out of people’s way every 5 mins. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You always have a push-fit or compression fitting immediately off the waste / trap. Some European stuff have a solvent weld fitting on an adjustable / universal joint but I’m not a fan of those tbh. 
I only recommend what I’ve been doing, leak free, for nearly 3 decades. 

McAlpine are ‘industry standard’, but other suppliers may do something different / more pleasing to the eye etc. Impey stuff is bombproof.

Order as you need things, unless you have safe, secure storage where these things don’t have to be moved out of people’s way every 5 mins. 

So, if I measure up and put the waste in, where does the adjustment come from.

If I set the waste as needed, and measure for height, I am going to need, I assume, 4-6mm adjustment for the sand/cement or silicone bedding, do I run the risk of the waste being a bit too high or low then forcing it into position or is there enough give on the associated pipework that it is OK? I did the whole build in solvent weld so know there is some wriggle room. 

Does that sound about right?

Impey, thanks.

Just now, Onoff said:

Wall drain is the way to go!

That is a new one on me! Smart. Thanks for showing me another option!

However, having watched Skill Builder's videos, I am going for a Mira Flight shower tray. I think working in engineering I am too hung up on mm accuracy, to a point I cannot understand how the tray waste first fix works out. In my eyes I think it needs to be -+0.5mm to work out! Given laying a shower tray is like putting in slabs I must be overthinking the process. 

Buy the bits and go for it I think!