grohe water sense smart water guard

offthepiste

If anyone is interested in the Grohe unit, I have been reading various review - some regarding the Grohe App.

I think from what I have read that the hardware is good, if not excellent. However, the main issue seems to be that it is pretty dumb - and primarily based on a daily water usage limit which seems to be the primary value for triggering it to say that there is a leak. There is also some measure of water pressure so am not sure how this affects its behaviour.

Probably the biggest issue is regarding the Grohe App. The reviews on the Apple App Store are pretty damning.

This is a shame as the Grohe portal is pretty informative.

One big issue seems to be that the Grohe unit shuts down the mains triggered by a water softener going into regeneration mode. 

We have just had an east Midlands Eco Premier whole house system installed - so I have contacted East Midlands to see what & when regeneration is triggered.

I am very keen to get the Grohe unit so want to understand its limitations and possible work arounds.

My Options:

1. If I can accurately predict softener regeneration then I could use the Grohe sprinkler schedule cover this water usage.

2. If the Eco premier regenerates on a daily basis then I could include this usage into the daily limit.

3. I could switch off the Grohe Controller so that it does not shut off mains automatically and just notifies me. I could also invest in a couple of floor sensors to validate any warning.

4. Not install the Grohe!

Re the Grohe App, I think their team probably needs a kick up their collective nether region. They could include more exception scheduling and possibly some machine learning (I am not a great fan of AI - being very much a determinist!).

Cheers

Wonder if @SteamyTea and @ProDavehave any view on this? They, among many others on this site, have views that I greatly respect.

PS: Just had a reply from Grohe recommending installing Water Controller after the Water Softener unit ... why did I not think of that!

Edited by offthepiste

43 minutes ago, offthepiste said:

any view on this

Seems a lot of money for what it does.

Apart from that, I have no experience if them.

South West Water sent me a thing that straps to a pipe that was meant to sound an alarm when a tap was left on.

It never went off, even when the squirter in the hosepipe fell off, and discharged a couple of hundred quid of water into my garden.