Carpet Fiasco Q.

zoothorn

Hi chaps,

I've made a naiive error on my extension, final bit/ the carpet. 

Chap's put down the wrong carpet (& also the one I -specifically said- I didn't want too). Ineptitude, or pulled a fast one on me? I'll never know (latter i think). £450 wasted. I'm bloody angry at him, but also for not checking -before- I paid him. I asked to check, but he said he'd "lost the sample" & gave me the "daylight always looks lighter" spiel. Daftly, I trusted him & paid. It's dawned on me since tho, that my suspicion at the time was 100% correct. Bloody sod.

Now, I cant afford £500 for a pro. But I have to redo it, as I hate it more each day & it's causing stress/ anger at him. I've got shafted L,R & centre since moving here by all manner of people. Gets me down tbh. Best I just crack on, lump it & redo it.

So my question: is it feasable I could fit a carpet? Has anyone done it?

The perimeter spiked trim is all there, & laying an underlay is surely easy enough (this one so thin I can feel the chipboard & my feet ache too, crap firmness/ little support). Also in my favour is 3 sides are dead-straight. One side tricky: wibbly old stone wall.. onto which the extension is built. Bed helpfully covers it mostly, this also in my favour.

And 3 separate steps to carpet too.. trickiest bit. But the main thing is get rid of this damn floor carpet asap.

Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks so much for reading, Zoot

This (living) carpet clip is useful, as it gives a good idea of the 3 shades.

The RHS carpet is what I chose. The one I got instead, is similar in hue, to Les's bald head.

(The LH carpet I actually rather like.. new one might be similar). Zoot

Edited by zoothorn

11 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

I’d live with it a while and see if your attitude towards it lessens. You’re angry at being ripped off. 

Hi Kelvin, tried exactly this.. for 2 years you see. I've been kidding myself that it 'could' be the one I chose for too long. Now I've accepted it's not, each day subsequently it gets more & more aggrevating.

Beige.. after so many years of rental places with it & white walls, student places etc etc.. the very last thing I wanted, was bloody beige (& I have white walls).

I suspect he had opportunity of out of fashion beige at a knock-off price, & took me for a ride. Nothing on receipt/ invoice re. colour, type, anything to ID it. I feel so stupid- I need to take it on chin, put it behind me now & redo it.

20 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Ah I see. Buy a big rug. 😀

Thought of this, even looked into covering it all in nice used rugs.. cost more than £400.

If I showed a pic you'd understand, but Im embarrassed to it's such a horribly pinky-beige. Makes me so angry.

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

got a United Carpets near you ..? A decent £15/m carpet plus underlay should be £300 fitted. No idea why you think near £500..?

Hi Peter, thanks for looking into that: no such place I'm afraid, we only have 2 fitters for the whole of Aber (& these 2 make massive salaries as a result.. adds to my anger). 

It was £450 November 2020, so if that was say £325 for the room + say £125 for the 3 steps leading down.. with alot of price hike since I'd think £500 min now. Maybe £550.

Hence I can only consider doing it myself.

So not difficult to do steps if they are already done, as you take them up, use the old ones as a pattern and then refit them. Spray glue on the risers and the treads are probably stapled on. 

same sort of thing with the other carpet - take the old one out and then lay it on the new one, trace round and add an inch all round then cut it out. You can hire knee pullers  but tbh it’s not that hard in a small room to heel it into place.

48 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So not difficult to do steps if they are already done, as you take them up, use the old ones as a pattern and then refit them. Spray glue on the risers and the treads are probably stapled on. 

same sort of thing with the other carpet - take the old one out and then lay it on the new one, trace round and add an inch all round then cut it out. You can hire knee pullers  but tbh it’s not that hard in a small room to heel it into place.

Invaluable info already.. I had it already in mind to skip this carpet asap. Then start again!

Ok so I'll take from your reply then that it is feasable, so will now brush up on YouTube clips & go from there.

I'd think in principle surely, the vast majority of the work is getting the edges neat & 'tucked' correctly in: I think a tool is needed at least for this, & looks bloody costly watching this guy finish off this room with one.

Thanks Peter,

It would be great to hear from anyone whose done a carpet fit too. Zoot

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

I think a tool is needed at least for this, & looks bloody costly watching this guy finish off this room with one.

Nope you’re thinking of a stretcher and you can hire them but you can make one if you’re careful…! Only thing to tuck it down is a normal 4” bolster chisel. 

I am always amazed how cheap carpet fitters are.

The collect the carpet, carry it into the house, wiggling though doorways and up stairs.

Rolling it out, cut it to shape, do the steps, and anything else that needs doing.

Tidy up, take the rubbish away, and only ask for 50 quid or so.

You won't make any saving on the fitting, and you will possibly end up with a badly fitted carpet, especially if working on your own.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1