Actuators instead of Zone Valves

HaloThree

In the process of having my UFH installed by a gas safe contractor. 

The end state will be 4 multi-zone manifolds with actuators on each loop and no radiators. 

The manifolds have a wiring centre which allow for control of the pump, actuators and can send the signal to call for heat depending on the zone thermostats. 

The gas engineer has pushed for no zone valves to separate each manifold or each floor. He’s has pressed ahead and starting installing the first floor accordingly.

I wanted to get your input on this approach please. 

The actuators are for each zone , therefore each room is a zone and requires a separate zone controller via a room thermostat. This is required under the building regulations domestic heating installation guide.

you don’t need to zone the manifold supply as the individual actuators achieve room discrimination.

the only reason to do this would be if you want to run the system as variable volume, which could cause issues with the heat source and I think would probably be overkill for this application.

Edited by Rich123

11 hours ago, Rich123 said:

therefore each room is a zone and requires a separate zone controller via a room thermostat. This is required under the building regulations

No you don't need to make it each room a zone as you seem to be stating.

If the property is over 150m2 you need two zones. No more than that.