Tarmac Driveway repair question

Radian

I'm going to have to hire a contractor to repair the end of our drive which got mashed by grab lorries, skip lorries and heavy plant when our extensions were built. It's tarmac laid on type 1 and the damaged area sunk and cracked away

IMG_20220114_124647623_HDR.thumb.jpg.af7028ec35411e47bc51a64236c06aa2.jpg

The plan is to cut across the entire section from side to side, dig out and whaker in type 1 as it's a bit on the thin side. Also I want an Aco style linear drain across the entrance to catch the runoff when it rains and we wash the car as otherwise it all ends up across the road flooding a neighbours garden.

What I'm unsure of is the process of having the tarmac delivered and layed. Is there anything I should be looking out for? Questions I should be asking?

34 minutes ago, markc said:

Make sure it’s delivered hot,

Yes, I was thinking that. It's how to make sure the contractor follows the same advice that's the slightly delicate matter.

Presumably it has to be rolled flat as well. More hire gear I guess.

It was pretty straightforward when a contractor put a tarmac entrance in for us - tarmac lorry delivers pile of tarmac, roughly positioned in the right area, then lots of rollering to get it flat.  You might need to think about what happens to the excess that's leftover, we ended up with quite a bit as you obviously don't want to be short!  No doubt a small area would be less.

You can get cold lay stuff though specifically for repairs.

When we do our driveway entrance it will be a good day as it will be one of the last things to be done. Marks note in diary February 2027. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Haha 1