Lighting for home office

jayc89

SWMBO and I both work from home, we have a relatively small room (3.5m x 2.5m) that we're turning into a shared office area, don't need loads in there, just a couple of desks as a minimum. It's in the North/West corner of the house, and the window is shaded by other parts of the house to the South so it struggles with light until the evening in the Summer and it's pretty dull the rest of the year, so we expect to have the lights on in there most of the time. 

We like the idea of plaster-in LED downlights (room is downstairs, so no airtightness concerns using downlights), the majority of electrical equipment has been LAP (Screwfix's own-brand) and we're relatively happy with it, they down an "anti-glare" downlight which might be an option - https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-eclipse-fixed-fire-rated-plaster-in-downlight-white/923kj - given the space, I'm guessing we're going to need 6x. Is £13 each reasonable?

Would you recommend any other type of lighting for a home office?

Edited by jayc89

49 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

SWMBO and I both work from home, we have a relatively small room (3.5m x 2.5m) that we're turning into a shared office area, don't need loads in there, just a couple of desks as a minimum. It's in the North/West corner of the house, and the window is shaded by other parts of the house to the South so it struggles with light until the evening in the Summer and it's pretty dull the rest of the year, so we expect to have the lights on in there most of the time. 

We like the idea of plaster-in LED downlights (room is downstairs, so no airtightness concerns using downlights), the majority of electrical equipment has been LAP (Screwfix's own-brand) and we're relatively happy with it, they down an "anti-glare" downlight which might be an option - https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-eclipse-fixed-fire-rated-plaster-in-downlight-white/923kj - given the space, I'm guessing we're going to need 6x. Is £13 each reasonable?

Would you recommend any other type of lighting for a home office?

Gu10 downlights work fine in our shared office. The fitting doesn't matter so much as the bulbs used and placement.

You can fit dimmable bulbs which is quite nice. We went with 3000K temperature, I really don't like anything colder than that.

Will you use computers and video conferencing? Positioning the lights to illuminate faces rather than backlight  silhouette is worth some effort. We have whiteish walls so our lighting designer put most the downlights close to the wall so it creates a scallop of light on it and reflects off to fill the room with indirect light which is very effective.