Laser Level - Recommendations?

richo106

16 minutes ago, zzPaulzz said:

Consistency must be key,

Do one check.

If you have the space, (say 25m or more) Set the machine up and measure the difference between two surfaces equidistant at about 180 degrees. . Then move the laser close  to one of them and repeat (one close surface, one distant). .

It should be much the same answer, but a few mm out is to be expected. 

If it more than that, we question whether it is the machine or the method.  

It is good practice too.

Will do.  When I had the Dewalt machine - which cost twice as much so I returned it - the manual had a calibration check like that.  Will try it out next time I'm on site where I have the space. 

Long time since I did my surveying course (2006), but I did get 90% in it (would have got 100% if I had drawn it up in Autocad rather than TurboCad).

Worth playing about against some known fixed points just for fun. You can usually find a known point in a street. Bench Marks are the good ones, but you will often see a scribed 'washer' nailed to a footpath.

If you want to get really nerdy, get down to Newly and look at the tidal gauge, it is where all the UK's surveying is based from.

Difference between Bowditch’s rule and the transit rule:-

Bowditch’s rule is used to balance the traverse when the linear and angular measurement are equally precise while transit rule is used to balance the transverse when the angular measurement are more precise than linear measurements.

Bowditch’s rule:-

Bowditch’s rule or compass rule is most common method to traverse adjustments. By they rule, the total error in latitude or departure is distributed in the proportion to the lengths of traverse legs.

Correction to latitude of any line:

= length of that line/ perimeter of the traverse)× total error in latitude

Correction to departure = (length of that line/perimeter of the traverse)×total error in departure

Transit rule:-

By this rule, the angle are measured with more precision and error in latitude or departure is proportional to its latitude or departure. This method is adjusting the consecutive coordinates of traverse is completely empirical and no theoretical base for it.

Correction to latitude of any line:

= (length of that line/ arithmetic sum of all latitudes) × total error in latitude

Correction to departure

= (length of that line/ arithmetic sum of all departures) × total error in departure