Bathroom Help

I'm at a position where I need to start planning bathrooms and layouts - I have three in the new house, a main bathroom, 1 ensuite, and a downstairs wc/wetroom. I thought I'd start a new thread that can be used for all the questions and help I could do with.

The downstairs wc/wetroom is the most pressing one as layout and drainage needs to be put in before the floor screed in just 4 weeks time, and any necessary falls put in the floor.

The room is only occasionally going to be used for as a shower room and therefore I want the shower to be discrete, therefore I don't want to install a shower screen, and will use a recessed shower head - most probably from crosswater or grohe, with a digital controller - again probably the crosswater solo/duo, or the grohe f series.

Now, the bit I don't know is:

1. What is the best drainage channel to use.

2. What fall is required on the tiles - I m assuming it will want to fall from the doorway towards the back wall, and from either side towards the centre.

3. What is the best tanking system to use for the walls and floor, and how far across the room should this come.

Here is a picture showing the layout - the thin blue rectangle where I think the drainage channel should roughly be, and the yellow rectangle showing where the recessed shower head will be.

WC Wetroom Plan.pdf

That's a very nicely thought out product. Any idea how much?

Thinking about u bends - is that one deliberately built in two the flexible black hose on it?

Think I d also want to tank the floor and walls more than they have.

Edited by Trw144

The only other issue I may have is that I will be having 900 x 900 tiles so getting the fall to the centre of the wall may be harder than getting it to fall into a long channel in the floor that spans maybe 1.5m 

From what I can figure it's a couple of hundred quid for the "element" . Type "geberit shower wall drain" into eBay. You'll see various "elements" with the yellow plastic covers on. You can get short or tall frames which also take the shower mixer. I think on top it's about £80 for a stainless cover to finish everything off. Not sure on the exact part numbers yet.

I've just left a big square out when I laid the floor slab (you might remember from eBuild) and will think about the wet room corner later.

25152711065_e657ae555a_z.jpg

This gives a lot of info:

http://www.plumbase.co.uk/link/1/b023799_29442_t.pdf

Edited by Onoff

Due to my large format tiles, I think I'm going to go  with a floor drain/channel, possibly even two due to the width of the room. I need to work out heights as I need to install this before the screeds and I suspect I'll need to put reduced height insulation in at this point. 

Am I best off with a tanking system (Schluter etc) on the floor and walls or something like a wedi board/aqua panel?

I done exactly the same as on off, I just put a 100mm drain to a large rectangular hole in the floor. Had it boxed off to let the screed get put in which bought me enough time to let my wife make up her mind what she wanted. 

When time came I marked where the waste was in the tray and dug a slot out of the floor insulation and ran a 50mm waste to the 100mm drain.  When the tray was set I made up a bucket of concrete and filled in the gap. 

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

I done exactly the same as on off, I just put a 100mm drain to a large rectangular hole in the floor. Had it boxed of to let the Screed get put in which bought me enough time to let my wife make up her mind what she wanted. 

When time came I marked where the waste was in the tray and dug a slot out of the floor insulation and ran a 50mm waste to the 100mm drain.  When the tray was set I made up a bucket of concrete and filled in the gap. 

I've done something right then! xD

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...