Dealing with condensation…

Is there a top opener in the bathroom?

If yes, screw a screw in the frame rebate so that top window is cracked open a tiny amount - 10mm or even 5mm, but can never be closed fully!! :)

Tell them to ALWAYS keep the bathroom door closed

Also open top openers in bedrooms during the day ... again a tiny amount makes a big difference, but does not cause drafts and negligible heat loss. 

Do existing windows have trickle vents (sorry if this has been stated?).

On 22/01/2023 at 09:36, HughF said:

There’s no way I’m fitting ventilation that doesn’t have heat recovery, blowing cold air in, or sucking out hot air and creating drafts is a total no-no and won’t get past my wife.

If it wasn’t moderately airtight then it wouldn’t suffer from condensation, mould and stuffiness, surely?

and as for the dehumidifier, I’ve already got two that we use for drying out clothes, but they’re hateful, noisy things that suck 500w (desiccant type)

If its a small place I'd probably try putting in two single room MVHR systems, a couple of hundred pounds each and basically replaces an extract fan. There are a couple of options available..I'd avoid the ones that reverse direction every 60 seconds or so and look for the ones that have a split inlet/outlet pipe. Generally means I think a 6" hole is needed, but no harder to fit than an extract fan. I had a query about these at some point and did some research. 

9 minutes ago, larry said:

If its a small place I'd probably try putting in two single room MVHR systems, a couple of hundred pounds each and basically replaces an extract fan. There are a couple of options available..I'd avoid the ones that reverse direction every 60 seconds or so and look for the ones that have a split inlet/outlet pipe. Generally means I think a 6" hole is needed, but no harder to fit than an extract fan. I had a query about these at some point and did some research. 

I’ve done some research into dMVHR and have a few options on the short list. You’re not the first person who said that the direction reversal type are best avoided.

I’m still a little confused as to why there is so much variation in price between manufacturers and their offerings. The Partel lunos is close to £1500!

5 minutes ago, HughF said:

I’ve done some research into dMVHR and have a few options on the short list. You’re not the first person who said that the direction reversal type are best avoided.

I’m still a little confused as to why there is so much variation in price between manufacturers and their offerings. The Partel lunos is close to £1500!

It's got a fancy name?? 

That's more than I paid for my whole house unit....!! 

I mean, ultimately they aren't complicated pieces of kit. 

One consideration for the single room ones is how easy it is to change the filter. I put a direction reversal one on for my mum and it says it needs cleaning every 3 months, but the only access is by removing four screws, so that won't ever happen!!