Air Source Heat Pump size

marsh3377

Hi,

I was looking for some help and advice regarding the size of Air source heat pump required. I am building a 5 bedroom, 3500 sq ft house and had a quote from NuHeat for a 16KW Air source heat pump and underfloor heating kit (upstairs and downstairs). Their quote was really high, which made me then start looking around. I ended up speaking with someone from Joule (who have a relationship with Samsung) and he advised that I need a 16KW AND an 8KW air source heat pump.

I was just wondering if anyone has any educated opinion on this? Or if anyone has any recommendations of any companies that can provide specifications and quotes for air source heat pumps and underfloor heating?

Many thanks,

Anthony

20 minutes ago, marsh3377 said:

Hi,

I was looking for some help and advice regarding the size of Air source heat pump required. I am building a 5 bedroom, 3500 sq ft house and had a quote from NuHeat for a 16KW Air source heat pump and underfloor heating kit (upstairs and downstairs). Their quote was really high, which made me then start looking around. I ended up speaking with someone from Joule (who have a relationship with Samsung) and he advised that I need a 16KW AND an 8KW air source heat pump.

I was just wondering if anyone has any educated opinion on this? Or if anyone has any recommendations of any companies that can provide specifications and quotes for air source heat pumps and underfloor heating?

Many thanks,

Anthony

You really need to know the heat losses to determine the appropriately sized heat pump.

For a house with excellent insulation and airtightness, you could comfortably get by with a 5 or 6 kW unit. Several on here have done this successfully.

If you're planning minimum insulation and not paying attention to airtightness, you could well need a hell of a lot more.

Thanks for the replies so far.

In terms of insulation, we are definitely using good quality and thick insulation so it is going to be a very well insulated house. In terms of air tightness, we are not striving for fully air tight, but we are paying attention to this too so it should have a good air tightness rating.

As @jack says without heat loss calculations you are just shooting in the dark.

I am installing a 6kW heat pump and it will heat our house 192m2 and a summer house, 16m2.  I expect it to be using around 50-60% of its capacity even on the coldest day.

50 minutes ago, marsh3377 said:

using good quality and thick insulation so it is going to be a very well insulated house. In

Sounds good, but doesn't really mean anything as far of how much your house is expected to require in terms of heating.

There is a calculation spreadsheet in boffins corner on buildhub

• Like 1

We've the same size house (355m² gross, 315m² net), and our 9kW heatpump is more than up to the job. Floor U value 0.1, walls 0.12-0.15, roof 0.15, 3G throughout, airtightness 1.7ach. that's not exactly ultimate spec or performance compared to some here, but mucher higher than regs.

We need your numbers. Glazing and airtightness matter a lot as well as just all I sualtion.

• Like 1