Expanding foam that didn't expand...

I bought some of Screwfix's no-nonsense expanding foam (gun grade) to fill gaps between PIR boards, approx 10mm gap. Previously I've used EverBuild Fix & Foam which expands wildly out of control, however the Screwfix stuff doesn't look to have expanded at all...

The instructions say to mist the surfaces with water first, which I didn't do in some areas, would that really stop the foam expanding, between 2x PIR boards, at all?

Hmm I picked them up from Screwfix, so they could have been cold there, but they were sitting in the house for a couple of hours before I used the first one. The PU adhesive expanded more than these buggers!

I'll rake some out on Saturday and try again with a splash of water. 

4 minutes ago, Conor said:

I've has several dud no nonsense foam cans from B&Q/Screwfix in the past, some so under gassed that nothing comes out of the can. Returned for refund.

I've had some where you shake them and nothing moves inside, they get chucked before I even try and spray any out. These all sounded ok though. I think I have 3 left, fingers crossed they're actually useful. 

Used mountains of No Nonsense foam and never had an issue like this. A few stuck valves, yes...

I have now moved onto (much more expensive) Illbruck FM330* and would not use anything else (unless I want adhesive grade, of course). (*Satisfied customer - not salesman!)

• Like 1

Just now, Redbeard said:

Used mountains of No Nonsense foam and never had an issue like this. A few stuck valves, yes...

I have now moved onto (much more expensive) Illbruck FM330* and would not use anything else (unless I want adhesive grade, of course). (*Satisfied customer - not salesman!)

Did you have to dampen down first? This was to fill between 2x PIR sheets adhered to a brick wall, so all surfaces were dry, but I've never seen this with other brands I've used before... 

I used Megastik to adhere the boards to the wall, it was pretty good, but I do hear Illbruck is a game changer.

27 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

I confess I did not always dampen down, , and I never had the 'expansion failure' that you have had. Have you asked SF to investigate? I am sure they will refund, but it wants more than that, I think.

I haven't spoke with Screwfix yet, more in case it was user error.

I only had a rant at them last week about a deliver I had received from them. It was a couple of boxes of concrete screws, the deliver guy hands me this box ripped open and half the screws missing!