Extractor fan out through wood cladding

health mechanic

Anyone any idea how to make an external vent possible and not out of place in a wooden clad house. Have a downstairs toilet and utility room and I need to extract from, but outside front of house will have wood cladding to bottom of downstairs window cill. Only option I can see is to take up stud and through roof, any other option.

I assume you mean to make it work visually/aesthetically?

I have used these stainless steel cowls on my extension, they're functional but I think they look acceptable.

71S5nbnwoCL._AC_SX355_.jpg.6f201792807ce9aa8ac2e235caa9744a.jpg

Or there are quite a few places round here that use the bullnose version:

images.thumb.jpeg.eecdbe91395eda6d789d8933a4518482.jpeg

To be honest I think I prefer the bullnose as they're a bit smaller.

But I had to put two vents beside each other and so the square ones looked the least worst. If I had my time again I would have made sure the duct outlet lined up to the cladding spacing a bit better, maybe centred to a board, although it'll never be perfect due to the mismatched size. But in real life when you're looking at the whole wall they look smart enough that you don't notice them.

847062465_PXL_20211116_150530486_MP2.thumb.jpg.9614a76239626e7909917536da842890.jpg

13 hours ago, andyscotland said:

I assume you mean to make it work visually/aesthetically?

I have used these stainless steel cowls on my extension, they're functional but I think they look acceptable.

71S5nbnwoCL._AC_SX355_.jpg.6f201792807ce9aa8ac2e235caa9744a.jpg

Or there are quite a few places round here that use the bullnose version:

images.thumb.jpeg.eecdbe91395eda6d789d8933a4518482.jpeg

To be honest I think I prefer the bullnose as they're a bit smaller.

But I had to put two vents beside each other and so the square ones looked the least worst. If I had my time again I would have made sure the duct outlet lined up to the cladding spacing a bit better, maybe centred to a board, although it'll never be perfect due to the mismatched size. But in real life when you're looking at the whole wall they look smart enough that you don't notice them.

847062465_PXL_20211116_150530486_MP2.thumb.jpg.9614a76239626e7909917536da842890.jpg

Thanks, can I ask where you got those from. And did you use an inline fan. My issue is that I will have to go for a rigid duct going from the toilet,through section of utility to outside I think as steel between roof of toilet and utility

Screenshot_20230118_214729_Drive.jpg

10 hours ago, health mechanic said:

Thanks, can I ask where you got those from. And did you use an inline fan. My issue is that I will have to go for a rigid duct going from the toilet,through section of utility to outside I think as steel between roof of toilet and utility

I used these https://www.spares-2-go.com/products/steel-air-conditioning-wall-air-vent-external-hooded-non-return-flap-100mm-4?variant=37920077775021

And yes, an inline fan with a rigid duct through the wall. My layout is similar to yours, without the steel. So the bathroom just has a wall terminal, then rigid duct to utility, inline fan in the top of a utility cupboard, rigid duct to the outside.

I installed the exterior duct before the cladding to allow me to seal it properly to the breather membrane.

15 hours ago, health mechanic said:

So is this a vent to outside that ventsair  to the circumference of the vent and you clad on the vent face

Yes that what I was thinking of. Bit like a table with very short legs stuck to the wall. It could be square or round. Could add a mesh to keep out birds etc

Just needs to be big enough not to block the flow too much.

4 hours ago, Temp said:

Just needs to be big enough not to block the flow too much.

Which could be pretty small. 100mm duct has an area of roughly 78.5cm. So a 10cm square (40cm perimeter) would only need to stand out about 2cm to get the same gap, if it was open all the way round.

I guess the change in direction/turbulence might impede airflow slightly so probably better to go a little bigger. Probably want it bigger anyway so the duct end is fully hidden when you look from an angle. A small cone/dish on the back might also help to guide the air "round the corner" and out to the sides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyscotland said:

Which could be pretty small. 100mm duct has an area of roughly 78.5cm. So a 10cm square (40cm perimeter) would only need to stand out about 2cm to get the same gap, if it was open all the way round.

I guess the change in direction/turbulence might impede airflow slightly so probably better to go a little bigger. Probably want it bigger anyway so the duct end is fully hidden when you look from an angle. A small cone/dish on the back might also help to guide the air "round the corner" and out to the sides.

Our MVHR incoming room vents have a small cone like this but I suspect its too small to make much difference.

• Like 1