Roof saga

Three months on since I started the main house roof Lots of design issues that simply didn’t transfer to reality 

I expected to birds mouth every truss 

and new there would be a lot of work in the valleys to carry the 60 meters of lead But I didn’t anticipate the time it would take with the loose rafters and making the two dormer windows up 

Deborah and myself are chipping away at the slating Lots of cuts But mostly the weather has slowed things down 

Lead on the two dormers and chimney to finish and about 1200 slates still yo do 4500 already used 

There’s 1200 to lay on two lower roofs 

But can’t put the roof on till the roughcast render is done 

Our son has offered to give me lift with rendering the workshop and house Two days scratch and mesh coat three days top coating 

That’s dry days 😁

I wonder how many of us have said if only we were a couple of months earlier in starting B33DD7CB-018B-4AEA-95B0-839ACEC8272F.thumb.jpeg.5cf093a51760cf06064394b8ea559916.jpeg

You'll get there and in 3 years time all will be a distant memory. I wish I was at that stage instead of being pushed from pillar to post from the planners. Like everything in life you've just got to keep on going.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Canski said:

You'll get there and in 3 years time all will be a distant memory. I wish I was at that stage instead of being pushed from pillar to post from the planners. Like everything in life you've just got to keep on going.

Thanks 

It does look a little on the low side, compared to the roof slope. Optical illusion perhaps given the camera angle? The flue vent should be at least 1m above the roof surface and 2.3m measured horizontally.

Edited by MJNewton
Better wording (I think!)

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

It does look a little on the low side, compared to the roof slope. Optical illusion perhaps given the camera angle? The flue vent should be at least 1m above the roof surface and 2.3m measured horizontally.

Yes it is a bit of an odd angle The ridge is actually 7 meters from the back of the chimney 

Though doesn’t look it in the photo 

I had a 2 meter lift on the scaffolding Which was ok for Building off But my 6”5 frame would stretch to put the Cowell on so  I had to climb on the stack 

2 hours ago, nod said:

Yes it is a bit of an odd angle The ridge is actually 7 meters from the back of the chimney

The measurement isn’t taken from the ridge, it’s the point at which a horizontal line from the flue outlet (centre of) hits the roof surface. It’s a bit late for me to do some mental trigonometry but I guess if the ridge is 7m away then the point of interest on the slope is likely beyond the minimum required.

• Like 1