Self builder, New build with basement, London

Telleportello

Hi everyone,

First time self builder and under the age of 30, with little experience or knowledge of construction...learning on the job type thing atm.

I bought some land in North London back in 2018 and finally started the build (basement excavation and construction) back in June 2022.  I have come up against a whole host of problems (Structural Engineer going into administration during the works, party wall agreement issue that lasted over a year, angry & gossiping neighbours - I live in the house opposite the site... & insurance claims against me, etc...) but have also overcome most of them now!

The new build is roughy 110m2 internal space consisting of a basement with lightwell, ground floor and partial first floor, all within a tight space.  I have a really great civil and groundworks guy who has helped me so much a long the way.

Current stage is the finishing bits of the basement - drainage and pouring of slabs.  

Next stage, get the steels in and also the hollowcore planks!

I will definitely be a regular poster for help!

Thanks in advanced guys and can't wait to be part of the community! :)

• Like 1

welcome. sounds like a very interesting project and I know I speak for the majority on here when we say we want pictures!! 🙂 

many on here have built basements (us included) but I don't recall reading any with those sorts of plot size constraints. would love to hear more details of the build so far and as you progress.

• Like 1

@Telleportello welcome !

I've found this forum full of rich insights, so do ask lots of questions throughout...

Every build has challenges (we had our structural engineer unreachable for months at a time, planning objections, and have had to contend with some significant supply chain delays also..)

One thing I'd recommend you do sooner, rather than later, is share your floor plans in this forum for feedback.. That's something I wish I'd done earlier in our build.

Good luck !

• Like 1