Cosy vs Battery

PhilT

I had been giving a battery some serious consideration and, running the numbers, looked feasible until Cosy came along late in Dec'22. Projecting forward from the first two weeks actual usage and costs, assuming Octopus keep the same differences vs standard variable, Cosy will save me a minimum of £300 and possibly as much as £500pa at current rates for no up front investment. It's completely changed the financial equation and now I can't get anything like the level of further incremental savings required to justify a battery. Has anyone else run the numbers and reached the same conclusion? I use around 6k kWh pa and my heat pump feeds radiators, so possibly the savings from Cosy could be greater with UFH.

45 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

There is talk of energy prices dropping below current levels in July. Not sure if that alters your calcs?

I heard this also 

Petrol prices still dropping £1.41

Locally 

Following this as we have just had our solar guy out to talk about battery storage. He sells them and he mentioned that he is not recommending one to us but would advise us to go down the flexible tariff route.

I have to qualify this by saying that he was in defence mode after examining our system which we are suspicious has been wired up wrongly to send the energy from our 46 solar panels straight to the grid down one phase of our three phase set up. Still awaiting his final verdict on that but he was one subdued salesman after he looked at our meter and checked out the wiring in the loft. When that is all sorted we will have to look closely at the Cosy option. We are retired so can adjust our usage to suit the grid.