Build-to-border or not to build to the border

Currently tweaking the design of our new self build and one question I'm not sure the best answer to is how far to build from the border.

We currently have a single storey that is built 15cm from the border, dug into a hillside such that the border wall would effectively become a retaining wall and the 'roof' matches the level of the driveway.

There is currently no property built on the adjacent land but will in the future.

Do I build to 15cm (with foundations likely up to the border, give or take a few cm) assuming that I will always have some sort of access or do I increase the distance to 1m to ensure we've always got access?

As I understand it when next door builds, they may need to inform me if they build within 3m/6m (depending on depth of foundations etc). But I don't think we can prevent them from doing so?

We are likely having an insulated raft as the foundations but that is TBC.

Thoughts?

Edited by BristolBuild2020

40 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

If you have room it would be nicer to make your house properly detached from the neighbour.  It may be preferable to have a gap of 1m between the retaining wall and the house wall but again this may not work on your plot.

Plus 1

I would even consider reducing the house size to make room 

At some stage you will need access for maintenance A meter has to be the bare minimum After all you neighbors may decide to build right upto the boundary Blocking access for both 

If your house wall isn't going to be the retaining wall then you will also need to build a seperate retaining wall on your side of the boundary. I suspect you might need to leave a bit more than 1m for that.

I think I would approach the owner next door and ask if you can help him out by excavating part of his land as well so you don't need to build a retaining wall.

Every time the wife sees a house even close the border, she remarks how daft it is to buy a site to small and cram it full, with a house just too big for the site.

I must admit I do agree.

Think I would look at a narrower, but deeper house or taller.  Make it look like you have built in a spacious plot.  Give it kerb appeal, for selling later.

I should have mentioned that this room exists only because we are using the space above it as another parking space.

The “main” house starts 5m from the border on both sides, from the road you’d not even know there was another room there.

I’m struggling with this because having 1m down the side of the house we wouldn’t use for anything against having another 4m2 in this room seems like a no brainer..!

Edited by BristolBuild2020