Brand new utility room (MVHR, Washing Machine) - best soundproof construction technique?

DeanAlan

Soon to have this built. It is adjacent to main reception room so really don't want the low hum of MVHR unit creeping in if possible).

What is best construction technique to start with, blockwork or timber stud, filled with acoustic fluff and then with acounstic boards on both sides?

cheers,

-Dean

Our small whole house MVHR unit is off the floor hung on the wall. We never have a vibration noise from the unit. The only thing we ever notice is the sound caused by the fans when on boost which travels down the air vents. It will be good to see what the unit fixing recommendations are.

Oh and our unit is above our bedroom and SWMBO could hear a mouse fart.

Mount the unit on a robust wall, if its to be mounted on timber frame wall (like one our units), we double skinned in 18mm ply and hung the unit directly to that.  We also used Rockwool flexi in the internal stud walls for sound deadening, studs are 100mm, insulation is something like 60mm, so it doesn't touch the plasterboard.

Ours is sited in a cupboard, between two bedrooms and is well oversized for it duty, so fan speed is as low as practical. You can hear nothing even in the middle of the night.

Thanks @Marvin / @JohnMo.

We have a Zehender Quiet 350 but i haven't heard it yet - not commissioned yet - only the manifolds in place. Maybe i'm overly concerned due to the rental property I was in last having some Ventaxia system and it was pretty noisy.

I believe the unit is meant to be mounted on the wall and the wall it will mount too will be the old house external wall (9inch solid wall) so we should be good there.

On the other walls that enclose it we'll likely go stud rather than block and we have the opportunity to make that wall a little thicker to hide some steel top plates anyway so can over engineer the insulation slabs.

The washing machine is something that gets scheduled for early morning anyway so not something I'm so worried about although cancelling that noise out would be good as well.

cheers,

- Dean

14 minutes ago, DeanAlan said:

The washing machine is something that gets scheduled for early morning anyway so not something I'm so worried about although cancelling that noise out would be good as well.

Yes, in the future you may well be using off peak electricity for the washing machine....