Making use of unused chimney flues?

mjsx

Struggling to find the right space for cabling/radiator pipes/ventilation in our Victorian terrace … but of course we have lovely big voids running the full height of the property that are now unused. Is there any sensible way to use them? (Doing a full renovation so some scope for patching up holes and making good, etc.)

They're unfortunately on the sides of the property rather than running up the centre but still, it feels like they could contribute in somehow … is there a way?

No problem using for cabling except that access is difficult and you will be extending runs considerably to get into the chimney. Running heating pipes is also not a good idea as any heat lost would be better keeping the rooms warm, not an old chimney

The German book on heat-pumps I'm reading right now suggests installing closed stoves inside fireplaces (with the flue going up the chimney, obvs) as an emergemcy heating system. Can more experienced users tell me whether this sounds like a good idea?

I'm not an experienced user: but I have seen that set up in Germany - air ducted from outside - then burned, and up the (old, lined)  chimney. In Lueneberg ...

Its common for German houses to have a basement, and so the post-build installation of a ducted air supply for a stove in the  room above is quite easy.