DNO connection charges for export may reduce next year

As the title says, the amount the DNO can charge for renewable export network upgrades should reduce next year.

https://www.cms-lawnow.com/ealerts/2022/06/distribution-connection-charges-to-be-reduced-ofgem-publishes-its-decision-on-the-access-and-forward

Highlights from that document:

From April 2023 the general rule will be that the connection charges paid under distribution network connection offers will be decreased, as the extent to which the necessary reinforcement to the existing network is recovered from the relevant customer will be reduced as against the current position. For connections serving demand for electricity (or mixed use connection sites with import and export) in most cases no reinforcement costs will be charged to the connecting customer. 

These changes are designed to encourage a more dynamic and flexible energy system, in particular through the way in which distribution network operators manage reinforcement to the existing distribution network.

The reforms may also benefit domestic households installing heat pumps and electric vehicle chargers as the charge for any wider distribution network reinforcement will be removed in most circumstances. 

Perhaps it will be worth me looking again at a larger PV system after next April.  I hope it will also remove the charge we currently have to pay even to get an export upgrade even considered.

• Thanks 2

Hope you find this reassuring @Nick Thomas. So now instead of the individuals who want to apply paying for the service, we will all have to pay more if we want to apply or not....... unless of course you think the DNO's will do the work for free..... so now making the poorer poorer. 🙄

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

As the title says, the amount the DNO can charge for renewable export network upgrades should reduce next year.

https://www.cms-lawnow.com/ealerts/2022/06/distribution-connection-charges-to-be-reduced-ofgem-publishes-its-decision-on-the-access-and-forward

Highlights from that document:

From April 2023 the general rule will be that the connection charges paid under distribution network connection offers will be decreased, as the extent to which the necessary reinforcement to the existing network is recovered from the relevant customer will be reduced as against the current position. For connections serving demand for electricity (or mixed use connection sites with import and export) in most cases no reinforcement costs will be charged to the connecting customer. 

These changes are designed to encourage a more dynamic and flexible energy system, in particular through the way in which distribution network operators manage reinforcement to the existing distribution network.

The reforms may also benefit domestic households installing heat pumps and electric vehicle chargers as the charge for any wider distribution network reinforcement will be removed in most circumstances. 

Perhaps it will be worth me looking again at a larger PV system after next April.  I hope it will also remove the charge we currently have to pay even to get an export upgrade even considered.

33 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

Maybe I missed something but it only seems to talk about limiting reinforcement costs......no mention of regulating application costs???

Yup, so when the DNO digs the road up (even costlier than a survey) Who's paying now?

What people haven't been looking at is the detail of an application. In ours it said that, if any of the existing structure was not capable of supporting the load applied for, further upgrading work would have to be paid for in order for the installation to be approved.

Some people on @BuildHub have faced quotes for thousands of pound for this reinforcement work.

So who is going to pay the difference and how?  You and me when paying for the cost of our energy. 

Given back money to the people referred to by @Nick Thomas as Rich and presumably taking from the poor. Lovely.

Edited by Marvin
further thoughts

I guess it’s a balance. If they have to dig up the road to get the cable to you then that should be at your cost. If they have to reinforce the network then that benefit is shared by other people either immediately or in the future so that cost shouldn’t be borne by one individual. As has been pointed out on another thread while the UK might be able to generate all the electricity the country needs the bigger challenge is that the local infrastructure can’t always supply it. 

My original quote for a 3 phase supply was £26500 as they needed to re-inforce the network. After a bit of back and forth the final cost was £450 for single phase. They’ve subsequently come back and mentioned that they could upgrade me to 3 phase for not much. 

Edited by Kelvin