Fire Rated Plasterboards in bricked hallway.

Ambaz79

Hello,

We are plasterboarding the house currently and have a question.  We have been told by our building inspector that the hallway needs to be plasterboarded in Fire Rated Plasterboard.  Now the hall way is in the old part of the house and all the walls in the hallway are the original structure made of bricks.  As this is the case do we still need to use fire rated plasterboard here as its bricks on the ground floor and first floor?  We do have stairs going to a loft that we are using as storage however will need to create a partition wall around the stairs going up there and I understand we would need to use fire rated plasterboard here. 

I have attached a video to show the current hallway. 

Edited by Ambaz79

27 minutes ago, Ambaz79 said:

Hello,

We are plasterboarding the house currently and have a question.  We have been told by our building inspector that the hallway needs to be plasterboarded in Fire Rated Plasterboard.  Now the hall way is in the old part of the house and all the walls in the hallway are the original structure made of bricks.  As this is the case do we still need to use fire rated plasterboard here as its bricks on the ground floor and first floor?  We do have stairs going to a loft that we are using as storage however will need to create a partition wall around the stairs going up there and I understand we would need to use fire rated plasterboard here. 

I have attached a video to show the current hallway. 

It's an odd one, I believe a common clay brick has a fire rating of about 4 hours, however, the FP sheeting may be for fire sealing (fire and smoke transfer) as much as anything else as the mortar might not be perfect.

This looks like a can of worms question. First, why are the walls being considered as part of the warrant, had you left them alone would you have been allowed to leave them as is with hard plastered on top? You are going to need to re-plaster anyway, how were you going to do that, PB then skim? Build doesn't look too big, so do you just buy the FP board, get it skimmed and be done with it, nice smooth walls. Plastering hard onto brick will take more skilled labour to do from base coat then top, by the time you factor in material cost and reduced labour to throw up board, you will probably come out even. 

You can always ask your BCO, they don't bite. 

Edited by Carrerahill

Hello,

Yes the plan is to plaster board and then skim anyway so maybe I am overthinking it.  I might just get this done with Fire rated board and be done with it then we tick the box if the question is ever asked. 

I think this was more a question to see is we can save a few pounds but in the grand scheme of things I guess this is worth the extra spend just for piece of mind (just like the other 999 items we have over spent on lol).

Thanks