Economy 7 of peak home battery.

Caroline1979

Hi ed g 

it charges the batteries and my E V on the 4 hour cheap tariff 00.30-04.30 once it was set up it that’s it don’t need to do anything,It provides the majority of the supply except when the electric fan oven is on! Then the grid tops up!

I went with the Greenlux batteries advised by H E G and they provided a double socket on a long cable EPS .i got a very good price for the installation! Give them a ring good to deal with and good support which I thought was important!

I have a gazebo close to the house with a flat roof approximately 2.8 mtrs x 6 mtrs facing due south with no shade. Is this size any good or worth fixing solar on ?  What is the lowest degree they can be fixed?

6E0249D0-BB69-4C1D-B083-1E6EB6767F68.jpeg

4 hours ago, Alshamal said:

I have a gazebo close to the house with a flat roof approximately 2.8 mtrs x 6 mtrs facing due south with no shade. Is this size any good or worth fixing solar on ?  What is the lowest degree they can be fixed?

I made just this type of structure for my colleague as a mobile demonstrator. Joins up the thinking, between outbuildings / structures satellite to the main residence and grabbing a cheeky extra few m2 of solar revenue.

FCC6F01B-97CA-4BBD-BB7D-DD545196E362.thumb.jpeg.a1f50dd511233a6b8483fc69cf996b8d.jpeg

It has a sniff over 4.3kWp on the roof. 

6D40A2A6-39C7-41AF-A793-FE9CA77A8247.thumb.jpeg.b0aab5ed4b6a4372fc2ce57feb3ea420.jpeg

Loads of interest when we put this up at Bicester, and a few strange looks when I simply stated that wood has been around for a “few centuries” and solar panels a few decades……….just screwed one to t’other lol. 

Some random woman asked “what time is the car being raffled off?” :D  Doubt that the BMW garage who loaned us the car would have been too chuffed with that lol.

I’m ( before I die hopefully ) putting 18 panels at the top of my garden ( East facing ) and another 12 on my ( re-roofed to comply ) gazebo for West. Both elevations get smothered morning and afternoon so fingers crossed, and I should get good returns from both. 

• Like 1

Hi Nickfromwales

That looks just what I’m thinking of doing not sure what size those panels are! Are they all a standard size? That roof doesn’t look 10 mtrs long.I just want to top up the batteries I wouldn’t need any certificates would I? Just need a Sparky to connect them to the inverter. I could fix them to the roof.

26 minutes ago, Alshamal said:

Hi Nickfromwales

That looks just what I’m thinking of doing not sure what size those panels are! Are they all a standard size? That roof doesn’t look 10 mtrs long.I just want to top up the batteries I wouldn’t need any certificates would I? Just need a Sparky to connect them to the inverter. I could fix them to the roof.

Array was 6m x 3.7m. Panels were 990x1780 ish, 360w iirc. Slept a few times since knocking that up in one of my ( very kind ) clients living room lol. 

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not considered ground mount unless it is literally, on the deck

Or

Stand Alone Domestic PV Installation Limits and Conditions
(Mounted within the grounds your house, block of flats)

• The effect on the external appearance of the building and amenity of the area should be minimised.
  • The first stand alone installation only will be considered ‘permitted development’.
  • The installation must not exceed a height of 4m at any point.
  • The installation must be 5m or more from the property boundary.
  • The array of solar panels may not exceed 9m2.
  • Stand alone solar installations are not permitted within the grounds of a listed building or scheduled monument.
  • If you live in a conservation area or in a World Heritage Site, no part of the stand alone solar installation should be nearer to any highway bounding the house than the part of the house that is nearest to that highway.
  • If you stop using your system, it should be removed as soon as possible.

https://greenbusinesswatch.co.uk/domestic-solar-panel-installation-and-planning-permission-england

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Or

• The effect on the external appearance of the building and amenity of the area should be minimised.
  • The first stand alone installation only will be considered ‘permitted development’.
  • Stand alone solar installations are not permitted within the grounds of a listed building or scheduled monument.
  • If you live in a conservation area or in a World Heritage Site, no part of the stand alone solar installation should be nearer to any highway bounding the house than the part of the house that is nearest to that highway.

https://greenbusinesswatch.co.uk/domestic-solar-panel-installation-and-planning-permission-england

Well, ‘we’ve’ got a few in without complaint or interest, and they are bigger than 9m2.

Lucky for me I’m in Wales, and not many people care about much more than the price of beer down here. 
I shall proceed as planned ( or not planned lol ). 
“Death before dishonour”.

49 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Well, ‘we’ve’ got a few in without complaint or interest, and they are bigger than 9m2.

Lucky for me I’m in Wales, and not many people care about much more than the price of beer down here. 
I shall proceed as planned ( or not planned lol ). 
“Death before dishonour”.

While I think it is an odd rule, it is a bit like speeding.  I do it a lot, thousands of times a year.  Not been caught for over 20 years.  I had a £270 fine and 5 Points that time.

Just worth pointing out that within our own boundaries, you are not King of the Castle.

So I hope you point out the planning rules to your customers, they could be a bit miffed at you if they had to take it down and ask for a refund, which you would refuse.

Edited by SteamyTea

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Or

This link seems unreliable source. Try planning portal:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/solar-panels/planning-permission-stand-alone-solar-equipment-panels-not-on-a-building-but-within-the-grounds-of-a-house-or-a-block-of-flats

That makes it clear these rules are only for panels NOT mounted on a building (and does not have the rule about minimising the effect on the appearance of the building).

If your gazebo can be considered a building then I don't think this applies. (But also +1 to nick try it and see, really)

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

While I think it is an odd rule, it is a bit like speeding.  I do it a lot, thousands of times a year.  Not been caught for over 20 years.  I had a £270 fine and 5 Points that time.

Just worth pointing out that within our own boundaries, you are not King of the Castle.

So I hope you point out the planning rules to your customers, they could be a bit miffed at you if they had to take it down and ask for a refund, which you would refuse.

Clients get told to do their OWN research, and to instruct us to crack on, or not.

👑 

👆👎👌

Edited by Nickfromwales

4 hours ago, Alshamal said:

Where’s the best place to look for prices and sizes etc 

thanks for all your positive responses and suggestions a breath of fresh air 👍

Happy Christmas and a happy new year 🎅🏻

If DIY then a lot here have used Midsummer iirc, but ‘we’ install Solarwatt mostly. Turnkey only, so no “supply only” I’m afraid. 

On 24/12/2022 at 10:57, Alshamal said:

Where’s the best place to look for prices and sizes etc 

thanks for all your positive responses and suggestions a breath of fresh air 👍

Happy Christmas and a happy new year 🎅🏻

Tradesparky/solarsparky always seem competively priced but Google the panels you want and see what comes up. Bear in mind that for panels, there can be significant delivery charges so somewhere near to you may work out competitive if you can collect.