Connecting Shelly 1PM to Shelly Motion Sensors

I've rigged up a Shelly 1PM to my secondary circulation pump. I've installed three Shelly Motion Sensors in areas that would be triggered as one approaches three hot water taps in my house. All four devices are recognised by my Shelly iOS app and they all work, in that the app can see when each motion sensor is tripped and the Shelly 1PM can be switched on or off from the app.

BUT... can't seem to get the sensors to activate the 1PM which was the whole point of this. In the 1PM settings, there is an "Addon Sensors" drop down menu, which presumably is where the setting is to be found, but clicking on that drop down reveals a message which says "Unsupported Addon, please update firmware". I have updated all the firmware (as far as I can tell) and no joy. Still having the same issue.

Weird. I have contacted Shelly customer support, but they are a bit slow and this is bugging me. I'm not the patient sort!

• Like 1

I suspect the 'Addon Sensors' section on the 1PM is intended for directly connected sensors, whereas what you've got are remote sensors. That's not a problem though; they can send commands over the network.

I've not used a Shelly Motion sensor before but I am assuming there's a setting somewhere that can trigger a URL call when motion is detected. In here you need to put something like the following on each of the sensors:

http://<ip.address.of.1pm>/relay/0?turn=on&timer=60 (where 60 is the time in seconds that you want the pump activating for)

There are further details in the published API but that ought to be enough to at least get things going.

Edited by MJNewton

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

I suspect the 'Addon Sensors' section on the 1PM is intended for directly connected sensors, whereas what you've got are remote sensors. That's not a problem though; they can send commands over the network.

I've not used a Shelly Motion sensor before but I am assuming there's a setting somewhere that can trigger a URL call when motion is detected. In here you need to put something like the following on each of the sensors:

http://<ip.address.of.1pm>/relay/0?turn=on&timer=60 (where 60 is the time in seconds that you want the pump activating for)

There are further details in the published API but that ought to be enough to at least get things going.

oh bloody hell, i didn't realise i had to code this. I thought the app would just have some options allowing me to set it up.

I'm confused where I input this code? I paste the above replacing the <ip.address.of.1pm> with the actual IP address of the shelley 1PM, but where do I paste it? What do you mean by this:

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

on each of the sensors:

It looks daunting but I promise it's quite straightforward...

If you go in to the Shelly app and select a sensor you should be able to configure it, one setting of which will be a menu related to actions or something similar like the following:

Motion-detected-action.jpg

Thanks @MJNewton but I’m still struggling.

This is the list of menu options I see for my sensor:

image.thumb.png.e938f630cb3135f09e61653b69997df3.png
if I click “get actions” I get the “failed to get actions, please try again!” Message.

If I click sensor settings, I get this screen:

image.thumb.png.970e0299a67a596c093dcd36eda17048.png

I’m really at a loss…

shelly came back to me with some instructions which made no sense:

please open the motion sensor in the app, scroll to the bottom and press quick actions. From there yo can follow through the options to set up the link.”

I went back to them to explain that the message "no devices found" appears on the "quick
actions" page and they responded:

You may have your 1PM set up as a relay, not a light. So please select relay instead of light.” No idea what they are talking about. Where do I select relay instead of light?

Okay, i think i have it working now. Shelly customer support thought that some of the messages I was reporting suggested an app issue so they asked me to reboot the app. When that didn't work I rebooted my phone and that fixed the issue. So it's now running and appears to work quite well.

I had to increase the secondary loop pump speed from 1 to 2 which ups the power consumption from 37W to 50W, but I will live with that. I also had to increase the sensitivity of some of the sensors.

Will report back in a couple of days.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

@Adsibob What pump are you using, and how is it connected to the Shelly? I would like to do this, but couldn’t figure out what pump to use. The ones I found (Grundfos) don’t seem to directly support a separate relay. 

7 hours ago, mjsx said:

@Adsibob What pump are you using, and how is it connected to the Shelly? I would like to do this, but couldn’t figure out what pump to use. The ones I found (Grundfos) don’t seem to directly support a separate relay. 

It's made by DAB Pumps S.p.a. Will be something quite cheap and basic as I didn't specify it.

I bought these:

image.png.665632d6429bf1ecbd8c68c32fb407c5.png

The Shelly Plus 1PM goes inside the button and the button intercepts the power cable of the pump. So the pump is plugged into the mains, but via the button.

Then I set up the three motion sensors pointing towards the three taps which I wanted to activate the pump. Managed to hide them all quite well so you don't see them.

• Thanks 1