Good morrow one and all

MK_Anthony

2 minutes ago, MK_Anthony said:

Greetings! It is a little detached standalone bungalow. Rather unusual to see on an urban street surrounded by rows of terraced houses.

I used to know a disabled fellow that lived in a street like yours. I think MK Development Corporation built quite a few for inclusiveness, before it was a thing.

Welcome.

That looks like an interesting old area (almost 'Open All Hours' as some are around here), where a couple of houses (or landlords) have cashed in their back gardens for a windfall. Interesting that there seems to be no off street parking, as would most likely be required now in that location.

Possibly it is a bungalow due to light requirements of neighbours, either statutory or because they owned the plot.

For acoustics I recommend the trombone.

Very good for reminding neighbours how thin the walls are, and that they need to keep the noise down.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

I used to know a disabled fellow that lived in a street like yours. I think MK Development Corporation built quite a few for inclusiveness, before it was a thing.

Yes, it does look like the type of property designed for disabled living.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

That looks like an interesting old area (almost 'Open All Hours' as some are around here), where a couple of houses (or landlords) have cashed in their back gardens for a windfall.

You are absolutely right. The landlord owns the house you can see to the left and built the bungalow in the back garden.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

For acoustics I recommend the trombone.

Very good for reminding neighbours how thin the walls are, and that they need to keep the noise down.

Good idea! If only I could play the trombone. Or maybe it's better to play it badly...

1 hour ago, MK_Anthony said:

Good idea! If only I could play the trombone. Or maybe it's better to play it badly...

What a wonderful learning opportunity !

If you can't play the trombone, that will be an even better demonstration 😛.

Or strangle a few elephants. Elephants are an essential tool for self-builders. They do far more around here than just be in the room and ignored in all our projects, donate their breath as a Farrow and Ball paint colour, and paint themselves pink.

• Haha 1

@MK_Anthony

I assume it's the urban soundscape of MK that's causing the issues. 

Those sliding sash windows are probably the main culprits. Secondary glazing would be a good improvement. 

Other than than the ceilings are lightly not great. I suspect 12.5mm plasterboard with lots of holes for light fittings etc and a lightweight glass wool over the top. If you can have a look in the attic and see what's in there. 

If you could just loose lay and drop say a 15mm layer of plasterboard on top of the current plasterboard and then 300mm of rockwool you'd have a good improvement.

Top it off with some acoustic sealant to any and every hole in the ceiling. 

image.png.c30a9b68da0aa02b6fc2e2faa067e567.png