Hi all. Hoping I'm in the right place for asking lots of dumb self-build questions!

Always

Hi.

I'm just about to start on my self-build project.  Planning passive-house (ish); from ICF with stone outer skin.  So many questions and queries it is untrue...!  Also champagne ideas and beer budget....

Today's problem is finding a passive house consultant - I need PHPP, and someone to talk to who knows more about the various product options and thermal-bridge avoidance than I do.  PHPP seems to come with eye-watering quotes.  If anyone has any tips, please shout!

Speak soon!

• Like 2

Hi, welcome. We just built a 350m2 passive-ish house with ICF.

Top tip is find an architect / architectural technician who is familiar with PHPP, building low energy homes, airtightness etc. No point paying twice, especially if not going for the £2k plaque on the front of your house. 

• Like 1

Another icf builder here, done 95% myself, even the architect bit, if you don’t want a passive house badge out side then stop using that term. 

You want to build a highly insulated, very airtight house with low thermal bridging. 

Its all in the details, floor to wall junction. 

Wall to roof junction. 

Window fitting. 

No gaps. 

Thats it, don’t let trades ruin what you have achieved by telling them the level of care you want, if they don’t get it find someone else. 

• Like 1

Welcome.

Passive house priciples are great, but there are diminishing returns. Hence most on here, as you, say ---ish.

Build quality is the main thing.

There is so much on this site...get delving.

Searching on Google seems to work better than the bh search itself....eg search for " buildhub passivhaus" or whatever the spelling is.

And please tell us more about your intentions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...