Best thin internal insulation

Dusty

Hi all

I have an old brick cottage which unfortunately was unsympathetically renovated in the 1960's. The external walls have been cement rendered and an internal breeze block skin has been built to one side of the property to support replacement ceiling joists.  In winter the house is extremely cold, and the long narrow style means that using thick internal insulation isn't an option. The house is in a conservation area, so the local authority is not keen on external insulation being used.

I have seen foil type internal insulation advertised which can compress to 10mm which would work space wise but I really don't know if it will perform well enough.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

6 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Hi all

I have an old brick cottage which unfortunately was unsympathetically renovated in the 1960's. The external walls have been cement rendered and an internal breeze block skin has been built to one side of the property to support replacement ceiling joists.  In winter the house is extremely cold, and the long narrow style means that using thick internal insulation isn't an option. The house is in a conservation area, so the local authority is not keen on external insulation being used.

I have seen foil type internal insulation advertised which can compress to 10mm which would work space wise but I really don't know if it will perform well enough.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

I'm assuming by your comments you don't like the external cement render. Could you "kill two birds with one stone" by removing that and fitting external wall insulation prior to re-rendering? 

+1 removing the render and kill two birds with one stone.  Speak to the local planning office and see what feedback they have on you changing the external appearance to something more sympathetic to the local amenity whilst improving insulation levels, energy performance etc.

1 minute ago, Dusty said:

Thanks. Unfortunately, the render is well and truly stuck to the brickwork. If it was easy to remove, I would be more than happy to remove it.

Nothing a weekend with an SDS drill couldn't sort out. If you're going to EWI and re-render anyway, a few nicks to the brickwork won't matter that much. 

To answer your original question though, you could consider something like this - https://www.thermablok.co.uk/site/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Thermablok-Aerogel-ThermaSlim-Internal-Wall-Insulation-TDS.pdf - I have no idea how good it is, nor how much it would cost though!

3 hours ago, jayc89 said:

Nothing a weekend with an SDS drill couldn't sort out. If you're going to EWI and re-render anyway, a few nicks to the brickwork won't matter that much. 

If you can do it over a weekend, I will be happy to pay you lol. The building is 17m long!

4 hours ago, Dusty said:

Thanks. Unfortunately, the render is well and truly stuck to the brickwork. If it was easy to remove, I would be more than happy to remove it.

No need to remove the render. Just EWI over the top. 

• Like 1