Window procurement

bmj1

I used a local firm as the posh ones look lovely, but if there's a problem, I decided it's easier to get a local person back to have a look (and I had to have 2 glazing units replaced). Go to showrooms with the spec and get quotes. 

Edited by Jilly

From my recent experience... 

Request plenty of of the quotes. Most of my enquiries went unanswered even from smaller locals. Gave up with web enquiries and answer phone messages.  This may have changed in the last month or so as things start to slow. 

Give as much info as you can up front - we didn't want trickle vents and that wasn't an option with some places. 

Have an idea of what performance (frames & glass) level you want and avoid anywhere that can't give you specifics. Check the quote has glass and frame performance detail. 

Flexibility can assist in price negotiation. Are you prepared to have the work done early Jan or at a point when the company is trying to fill their job book?  

Extras - colour cost, If you've not got existing cavity closures probably an extra cost. Check what's included and what's not. 

Other random things to ask - lead times, guatentee - do you have a single point of contact for any failure. 

Good luck. I'll be happy when I'm done with windows - it's been a slog but hopefully I'm finalising our order on Friday. 

• Like 1