Drawing software

11 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Hello everyone! I'm wondering if there are any free software where I can draw my designed ventilation duct work. Something like the following picture (taken from the internet):

MVHR-system-design-in-a-radial-layout-HeatSpaceandLight.png

Surely on a Mech Eng course you have access to CAD and graphic design software?

2 hours ago, Adrian Walker said:

Surely on a Mech Eng course you have access to CAD and graphic design software?

Well we did use AutoCAD but I don't think AutoCAD can produce that drawing (at least I don't think so)

1 hour ago, Adrian Walker said:

Why can't you use AutoCAD?  Personally I would use Adobe Illustrator or Affinity Designer, both of which are vector based.

It's not that I can't use AutoCAD, but the produces drawing is just not as beautiful as the picture I showed. Regarding Adobe Illustrator and Affinity Designer, I have never heard of those. I will see how they work, thank you for sharing!

2 minutes ago, irnbru said:

It's not that I can't use AutoCAD, but the produces drawing is just not as beautiful as the picture I showed. Regarding Adobe Illustrator and Affinity Designer, I have never heard of those. I will see how they work, thank you for sharing!

+1. I drew this in AutoCAD but my lad brought the render to life by running the STL through Fusion:

Makita-Rolson_001

• Like 1

7 hours ago, irnbru said:

That looks so beautiful!! I guess I'm just gonna stick with autocad then

I'm possibly doing AutoCAD a disservice in terms of how "pretty" a render it can now do. I learnt on AutoCAD 2000/2000i so am most familiar with that. I dabble with 2010 now and then but it's not mine. 

What I find fascinating of late is that if I draw say any complicated, large assembly, I can export as a STL file. My lad takes it through Fusion/Cura and in theory could then 3D print it. As a boon he can produce very nice, real looking renders which are great selling tools.

I keep meaning to draw my house and see what that turns out like once prettied up. 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I keep meaning to draw my house and see what that turns out like once prettied up. 

Been meaning to do mine for two decades.

Hard choices have to be made, waste time drawing a house, or waste time at the beach.

@irnbru

There are a number of free CAD packages, as well as free illustrating/photo editing ones. 

A lot of people use Google SketchUp.  You can get a few ideals of what it can do here:

https://sketchup.engineeringtoolbox.com/

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

On 15/11/2022 at 07:23, SteamyTea said:

Been meaning to do mine for two decades.

Hard choices have to be made, waste time drawing a house, or waste time at the beach.

@irnbru

There are a number of free CAD packages, as well as free illustrating/photo editing ones. 

A lot of people use Google SketchUp.  You can get a few ideals of what it can do here:

https://sketchup.engineeringtoolbox.com/

Thank you!