percolation test

if one is ito install a much bigger drainage field for a septic tank do we by law need to have a full percolation test done . we have had very little rain if any over the summer period and our ground had inch wide cracks in it from lack of rain and now the septic tank seems to be a problem draining away.any observations or an answer to the question would be excelent .

Depends I guess, who's going to watching or judging...  If there is no other building works going on and BC not involved, then that too me would be within the realms of just cracking on and get it done if the drainage field is on your land.  However, the evidence suggests something might not be quite right, so you could do your own perc tests, investigation and get a feel for what's going on around the drainage field, rather than just hoping a that a larger field would work.

BTW, I'm no expert, but am an owner of a septic tank and his own drainage field...

Edited by crispy_wafer

thank guys man came today klinker in pit to high no cover over klinker and seems sillted up drainage field not where we thought  90degrees in opposite direction and where it was meant to drain to has been filled in to a lot higher than garden but was the drainage field from the first build in the 30s . the very dry weather has exacerbated the problem of the sillting plus tree roots searching out the water.

perc test underway seems to think very promising just a question of  ordinary drainage field or mantair and becker tunnels.

You don't seem to have any obligation to change your septic to a better system. Therefore any work to the drainage field could be seen as maintenance.

I'd be surprised if your percolation test was 'promising' unless the water is going through cracks  which will close up in the winter. 

Not domerhing to cut corners on as any stink will be all yours.

Silting up can sometimes clear, if it gets time to recover.   Because we don't eat much silt usually.