Connecting up an EV charger 3 phase 22 kW

WWilts

New build in progress.

3 phase supply to kiosk. Zappi EV charger 3 phase 22 kW tethered, being installed tomorrow right at kiosk.

Question: What cable(s) do we need to order for connecting the power to the charger? We had some 5 core armoured cable left over, but that seems unsuitable because the armour will have to be stripped out.

1 hour ago, WWilts said:

New build in progress.

3 phase supply to kiosk. Zappi EV charger 3 phase 22 kW tethered, being installed tomorrow right at kiosk.

Question: What cable(s) do we need to order for connecting the power to the charger? We had some 5 core armoured cable left over, but that seems unsuitable because the armour will have to be stripped out.

That’s what we’re installing next week ( Zappi 3ph 22kW rapid ) and have installed a 5-core SWA to surface mount in the new double car port. 

Why are you getting involved with this / speccing cables and not the installer / sparky?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to understand our 3phase eventual cabling setup. Right now 3phase is on site in a box by the boundary. We have a newly installed smart meter put in as well. When this 3phase supply was installed our outbuildings were connected up to the box and now have power. When our new house is built later this year we plan to take power for the house and associated equipment ie 22kW EV charger and ASHP from the box via a conduit into the new utility room. What I am trying to understand is how this is done with 3phase? eg will I be using one of the phases right now to power the outbuildings? Does this mean that I only have 2 phases left for the main house and everything else? If so, does this mean 2 cables will be brought into the house? 

How best to plan the wiring in very general overview? Would a 22kW EV charger normally be dedicated a whole single phase? Will any decent electrician know how best to split the 3 phases between the various demands?

For info we are building a passivehaus. As well as the EV charger and ASHP there will be the standard MVHR. If budget allows we also would like to fit solar PV and potentially storage.

thanks 

The Zappi will take a third of the power from each of the 3 phases. Roughly 7.3kW per phase. 

Most of the rest of the questions need to be directed at your electrical contractors. There are a number of ways of doing it depending on the requirements of your various buildings. You may not require 3 phases at your main house, depending on what loads you will have installed. It might be best to pull the cable in with that in mind for future though.