DIY g98 3.6kW install

Solarexploits

Hope this hasn't been covered b4, but couldn't find it anywhere with search.

I know some of the solar suppliers that offer DIY install packages issue a complete set of instructions which I thought would be handy, both as a "shopping list" & for guidance on exactly where to fit breakers/fuses/AC cut off etc.

Just wondered if anyone that's purchased one of these packages had a copy of the installation guidance, I've had a look around the web & can't find anything that's more than a basic list of "install the panels, install this, that & the other & connect to grid", I'm looking for something a bit more informative than that to help a friend with a 3.6kW DIY g98 install, he's not bothered about getting paid for any return to the grid so doesn't need MCS

Thanks for any help in advance

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

Just point of note even without mcs approval, in case you hadn't realised, your electric install has to be by a registered electrician.  Their certificate number is required for the G98 form.

Surely the installation doesn't need to be done by them, simply a question of having a sparky sign it off surely?

If you no idea of the basics and the equipment needed, should you being the install?

Basic parts

Panels plus mounts, optimisers (option)

Connectors

Suitable DC rated cable,  suitable crimper for making up connectors 

DC isolation switch, even if inverter has one

Inverter

AC isolation switch

Meter

10 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

If you no idea of the basics and the equipment needed, should you being the install?

Basic parts

Plus roof and wind load calculations, cabling installation type (part of Part P), predicted generation ( needed for MCS), and probably more things.

17 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

MCS system are more than just electrically safe and compliant though.

Read the OP - he's not looking for an MCS system, he's intending to DIY,not concerned with selling back to the grid, for the extra cost of installation of MCS, you'd need to be selling LOADS back to the grid for about the next 20 years to justify the costs!

17 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Basic parts

Panels plus mounts, optimisers (option)

Connectors

Suitable DC rated cable,  suitable crimper for making up connectors 

DC isolation switch, even if inverter has one

Inverter

AC isolation switch

Meter

I have plenty of idea re the install, I've already installed my own off grid system & have an MCS array fitted 11 years ago. But I'm well aware that electrical regs change frequently & don't want to assist a friend installing something which is then knocked back by a sparky because it doesn't conform to latest guidelines. He's looked at buying a complete DIY kit, but can pick up the individual bits far cheaper elsewhere

I got a complete kit from ITS and installed 90% of it myself. Spark commissioned and certified it. Key things are to ensure that there are DC warning stickers on the cables / conduit. isolation on both the AC and DC sides. The inverter instructions will give you all the string wiring requirements, I found that the most useful document. Between that and the mounting kit instructions, you should be most of the way there. But definitely try and find a spark to connect it to your consumer unit, test and certify.

Edited by Conor

@ConorDo you by any chance have a copy of the general instructions you could post? Not bothered about inverter instructions as obviously will come with whatever inverter he chooses,& he's intending to do his own panel mounts on a flat roof, it's more stuff like where AC & DC isolators should be located, labelling such as you've described above that sort of thing?

Google MCS installation standards or something like that.

this will give schematics on what an install should me like to be compliant,  doesn’t matter if you don’t want MCS certification it’s away of doing the install correctly..

22 hours ago, Solarexploits said:

@ConorDo you by any chance have a copy of the general instructions you could post? Not bothered about inverter instructions as obviously will come with whatever inverter he chooses,& he's intending to do his own panel mounts on a flat roof, it's more stuff like where AC & DC isolators should be located, labelling such as you've described above that sort of thing?

The inverter kit instructions showed how to wire it all up as it came with optimisers for each panel so had wiring diagrams from the panel strings to the inverter. The spark advised me about the cable routes, conduit, warning labels, isolators etc. It's fairly simple really. First port of call would be the mounting kit to see how the panels are mounted. Then figure out how the cable runs will go. Most residential applications will be a single string, so you wire up the panels together in series, just onnect the MC4 connectors together, then you bring the + and - cables from either end back to the inverter and plug them in. AC side is wired directly to your consumer unit via the isolator and meter 

I've overly simplified it be that's most of it. Not exactly a dark art. I'm sure there are laid sof videos on YouTube.