Smart Meter User Display

Triassic

We had a smart meter fitted, when we moved the power supply into an outbuilding. They also gave us a user display, however this won’t work as it can’t communicate with the smart meter, as it’s too far away. What options do I have to get usage information out of the smart meter? 

I don't yet have a smart meter so don't have first-hand experience but lots of people recommend the 'Bright' phone app which gives access to smart meter information (far more than most in-home displays). Not sure if it's live or only historical though. 

Edited by MJNewton

14 minutes ago, Triassic said:

We had a smart meter fitted, when we moved the power supply into an outbuilding. They also gave us a user display, however this won’t work as it can’t communicate with the smart meter, as it’s too far away. What options do I have to get usage information out of the smart meter? 

Two easy ones, that may not meet your need:

• If you are with Octopus you can download a file with half hourly readings from the website.
  • Or you could put the Smart Display in the outbuilding, and read it directly out there.

My Smart Meter display does not take gas readings from the Smart Meter due to the ~15m distance, but I do not especially  miss those so it is not a big issue. It does hget the Elec readings, which are more of interest.

F