Hi from NE Scotland.

Ando

Greetings - I have lurked here for next part of a year, apart from couple questions - so here is introduction. 

Moved into a 4 bed detached 1960’s ish build about a year ago knowing that it requires a fair bit of TLC, and have spent the last year getting used to the house and thinking about how best to spend our budget. Read a lot of the threads on here - lots of very great stuff.

First up for renovation is to lift most floorboards on ground floor and insulate between suspended floor joists. I’m hoping this makes a big difference to the house. 

One question I have - as a bit of a reality check - should I take opportunity to replace all radiators / pipe work while floor is up prior to insulation going down?

Our current heating system is far from efficient - but boiler is only a few years old - my thinking is once properly insulted under the floor - replacing pipes in a few years time would be a nightmare? 

Sometimes feel as if I’m losing my marbles - have other crazy ideas for the house which I will post about when time comes. 

Thanks in advance - and to all folk responsible for threads that have got me this far. 

Hi and welcome, many heating systems were installed with little thought to efficiency. Pipes under floors are often not insulated and simply loose heat. If pipework is not good then the cost of replacing while floors are up is greatly reduced.

New (decent) rads can make a huge difference as can flushing a gummy pipework system if not replacing altogether

Edited by markc

I would take the opportunity, to increase radiator size or area, to make your house suitable for heat pumps.  The added advantage is you can use lower flow temps from your gas boiler to increase efficiency.  I would also make sure your pipes are above the floor installation, so they heat heat to the house.

Thanks for the replies. I have started working on calculating house heat loss - will likely have questions on other threads on this. 

Am I right in thinking that to future proof for a heat pump - bigger pipe work is required (22mm as opposed to current 15mm in house)? As well as oversized radiators etc..

Re running the pipe work above the flooring - I hadn’t considered that as an option, always just assumed under the floor was the only option.  Is this a case of running them along next to skirting boards / drilling holes through walls etc..