Checking to see if smart meter is on the SMETS2 network

Radian

The government has put in place a programme to move first-generation SMETS1 meters onto the SMETS2 network, giving old meters the same benefits as new meters and access to DCC.

smartmetercheck hosted by citizensadvice.org is supposed to take your MPAN number and postcode and tell you if your meter has been migrated but every time I try using it I get "There has been a problem trying to check your meter. Please try again." Perhaps someone else might give it a go and report back?

10 minutes ago, Radian said:

The government has put in place a programme to move first-generation SMETS1 meters onto the SMETS2 network, giving old meters the same benefits as new meters and access to DCC.

smartmetercheck hosted by citizensadvice.org is supposed to take your MPAN number and postcode and tell you if your meter has been migrated but every time I try using it I get "There has been a problem trying to check your meter. Please try again." Perhaps someone else might give it a go and report back?

Same here.

• Thanks 1

Goodness the quality of the UK government systems for its citizens is atrocious - and I suspect atrocious and expensive.

For example, the land registry website looks like something from the '80s and as far as I can see you have to go through checkout for every single property you're interested in. Hmmm, let me see UK productivity is ... shocking. Why is that, I wonder?

Alan

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nick Thomas said:

Worked for my DCC-enabled SMETS1 meter about a month ago; it's giving me an error right now though.

Looks like it's dead in the water now then.  😕 Thanks for trying all.

I suppose I could try registering with a DCC connected company like Hildebrand and see if it fails.

10 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Goodness the quality of the UK government systems for its citizens is atrocious - and I suspect atrocious and expensive.

Based on ..? I’ve seen much worse from other countries - ever applied for a US Visa for example ..?

The GDS standard is pretty good for standardisation - the issue is the back end systems were never invested in and some date back 20 years..!

DCC is privately owned - it may be the link to CAB isn’t correct as it was working and looks like something may have changed 

Update: Tried again today and it worked! I had been leaving plenty of sarky feedback 😁

Your electricity meter's working in smart mode

Supplier: Scottish Power Energy Retail Limited

This means your meter should automatically send readings to your supplier, so you don't need to send them yourself.

It's working in smart mode because you have a first generation (SMETS1) meter that’s on the smart meter data network. The network connects your smart meter to energy suppliers.

Duh, yeah, I already knew that.

If you’re thinking about switching

You can switch to most suppliers and your meter will still work in smart mode.

Oh, so does that mean we've been migrated to the SMETS2 network? Sounds like it.