Kitchen worktop space & Islands

puntloos

My current kitchen has 4 m2 worktop space (6800mm, 22 feet, 60 deep), which includes roughly 1 m2 space for hob and sink. (800 each)

My new kitchen design has 2.64 m2 island (1000x2640) and 2.40 m2 normal worktop -> 5 m2, but 2 sinks, so let's say 3.5m2 left. (pic attached, worktop and sink marked in red)

image.thumb.png.d5c812c2beb556bfa06022f3b5bcddbc.png

So in theory, yay, slightly more room, but in practice, I can imagine I don't want to leave stuff (used plates, pans etc) on the island, especially right now I'm looking at my current uncleaned kitchen and almost every inch of worktop has some random stuff on it. 

Should I try to increase worktop space in new kitchen? Or is it actually fine? 

One important fact is that a lot of my current worktop appliances - rice cooker, coffee maker, kettle, I was planning to insert inside a cupboard so that would increase space a bit more.

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

Only 1M between main units and island will be too little if either has a dishwasher with a pull down door, you will curse as you empty it, you cannot get past the door to put stuff away.

Fair shout but indeed we've thought about that one. It's a bit of a compromise, but the dishwasher opens up right at the intersection (near the door), so should not be blocking too much.

If you worktops are covered in stuff now the new kitchen will be the same. It might start out tidy because it’s new but if this is your habit then you’ll revert back to it. Increasing the worktop size will just give you more flat surface to leave stuff. Much better to introduce some better habits that keeps the area tidy.