Scratched windows

Moggaman

3 minutes ago, Moggaman said:

Hi guys. Moved into new house about 3 months ago. Got windows cleaned by window cleaner the other day…. There are scratches everywhere ….which were clearly caused by whatever way he cleaned them… can they be fixed I wonder ?

Jeez that looks bad. When you say they were clearly caused by the window cleaner, how is it that you are so sure of that?

Those scratches could have been made during manufacture of installation and only apparent after cleaning.  We have lots of scratched panes on the larger windows, probably caused by fitters lying them down / dragging them around to install.  Only noticeable in certain light but I am OK to ignore it.  A development near me had loads of scratched glass and I think the installer ended up going bust.  They are very difficult to remove.

Our old patio door was covered in scratches and like you I am sure they were caused by the window cleaner dragging a grubby sponge across them. We have just had all new windows and doors fitted and I need to try and stop him cleaning them. Unfortunately he is one of those cleaners who just goes ahead and then puts a note through the door. Even if you're at home the first you know if his arrival is when a ladder appears at your bedroom window 😬

I always feel there should be some sort of resin with a similar refractive index to glass that you could apply and buff back to lessen the appearance of a scratch like that. There's something like that for repairing car windscreens. But yes, if the window cleaner drops his mop or sponge to the ground and it picks up the tiniest bit of silicate, that's all it takes.

On 12/10/2022 at 11:40, Radian said:

Jeez that looks bad. When you say they were clearly caused by the window cleaner, how is it that you are so sure of that?

Jeez, I would’ve noticed them … pretty sure the cleaner did it… they are all over some panes in circular and random fashion