Roof to wall straps - do I bend to shape?

daunker

Am about to build timber frame on top of masonry wall. Have already put purlins in between steels. I need to put restraint straps from head plate and studs in wall to purlins -spanning three with noggins in place to prevent them bowing.

Question- as it is a pitched roof most straps seem to be right angles or straight  I have seen twist straps but not sure they are applicable. Ceiling will be vaulted so don't want to have to come down off it unnecessarily.

Do I self bend a suitable restraint strap to get the angle or is there a product suitable off the shelf. Presume a lot must deal with pitched roofs? May well be missing something. Thanks!

IMG-20221006-WA0002~3.jpeg

On 08/10/2022 at 18:01, Conor said:

Can't comment on your specific question, but its easier to bend a 90degree strap to 30degrees or whatever than it is a straight strap.

Thanks for the reply Conor, only just seen, valuable info. Luckily enough I bought some straps this morning and they are 90 degrees. I have a vice so hopefully can bend them ok, they are substantial- a good thing so long as I can bend them! Thanks again.

Also thanks for the reply @markcsorry for not replying before, just liked your reply as it was exactly the info I was after. Ended up spending £220 on straps this morning. They are eyewateringly expensive for what they are!

Edited by daunker
  • Like 1