UFH advice on 100mm concrete downstairs and 50mm screed upstairs

KillyfadNewBuild

Hi,

I was hoping to gain the advice of you good folk on the commissioning process for our heating getting turned on and commissioned and how long each floor should be left before we can polish the 100mm concrete floor downstairs and to tile the 50mm screed floor upstairs.

What we have: Underfloor heating upstairs and down, with a heat pump for heating.

Trying to line up the next trades even roughly how long it would take to get the floors ready to be polished and tiled.

Many thanks,

Joe

You basically in theory should start at at flow of about 25 and every 24 hrs increase the temp 5 degrees until you get to 45.

If you are well insulated, your flow temps should be low. Our max flow temp is 28 at -5 outside.  So I just started it up, plus our concrete had been on place for a year or more.

• Thanks 1

For tiling they recommend allowing 1 day per mm of thickness. So 100 days downstairs and 50 upstairs.

I would always use a flexible adhesive and BAL is probably the best brand (also for advice).

What type of screed? Some anhydrite screeds need special care to remove a laitance that forms on the top before tiling.

• Thanks 1

Polished concrete needs a good bit longer than 1 day/mm or your surface a) won’t polish or quickly goes dull as the moisture keeps rising. I don’t have enough knowledge or experience to give you trade secrets just a few not too cracking experiences when jobs were rushed

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Temp said:

For tiling they recommend allowing 1 day per mm of thickness. So 100 days downstairs and 50 upstairs.

I would always use a flexible adhesive and BAL is probably the best brand (also for advice).

What type of screed? Some anhydrite screeds need special care to remove a laitance that forms on the top before tiling.

The dates that the floors were set:

Upstairs - Sept 3rd

Downstairs - Sept 9th

Still a while to go yet.  We won't have our heat pump and cylinder installed by the plumber until the end of the month but will be a while after that before it's connected up to the electric and going through the commissioning process.

We were working with the start/mid December with the tiler and the polishing concrete company, so it may be close enough with our estimates.  We were hoping to get everything lined up for Christmas in the new house but getting the job done and not rushing everything is more important to us, so thinking we may start signing off to that idea.

We were quoted a flexible adjustive for the upstairs tiling, Weber was the brand if I recall.

Thanks for all your feedback, it's appreciated.