Electric radiators for holiday home?

Hello there,

My brother and I purchased a holiday let which doesn't have any gas central heating and has been using some old electric night storage heaters.

We are looking into getting around 9 or 10 electric radiators fitted but wanted to know if anyone has any recommendation for the best ones. Ideally easy fitting and good from an economical point of view (if that even exists these days) and some that can be controlled via an app maybe? The internet is full of them and we've been checking them all out but it's a bit of a minefield. We also find them all a little too modern looking and want more of a traditional look. 

Answers on a postcard.

Cheers :) 

Storage heaters, fan heater, panel heaters, infrared, and even oil filled electric heater are all resistance heater.

1 kWh of electricity in, 1 kWh of thermal energy out.

Have you considered Air to Air Heat Pumps or maybe a normal ASHP that will also do the hot water.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LancashireLad said:

Hello there,

My brother and I purchased a holiday let which doesn't have any gas central heating and has been using some old electric night storage heaters.

We are looking into getting around 9 or 10 electric radiators fitted but wanted to know if anyone has any recommendation for the best ones. Ideally easy fitting and good from an economical point of view (if that even exists these days) and some that can be controlled via an app maybe? The internet is full of them and we've been checking them all out but it's a bit of a minefield. We also find them all a little too modern looking and want more of a traditional look. 

Answers on a postcard.

Holiday let? So you will pay the bill and guests will not care about leaving heating on and wasting energy.

Bad idea to be honest.

I'd look at getting gas in there if you have a gas supply or look into a ASHP or you will need to add literally £20's per night stay to cover electricity costs.

Unless it is super well insulated and unlikely to need much heating...

Is it rural?

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

Also, watch out you are not on a commercial electricity tariff. If so that won't be capped so even more expensive.

Details of the property, age construction, No of rooms etc might help.  If large, (9 or 10 radiators suggests it is) oil CH may be an option if no mains gas.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Holiday let? So you will pay the bill and guests will not care about leaving heating on and wasting energy.

Bad idea to be honest.

I'd look at getting gas in there if you have a gas supply or look into a ASHP or you will need to add literally £20's per night stay to cover electricity costs.

Unless it is super well insulated and unlikely to need much heating...

Is it rural?

Hi there,

Yeah pretty rural... I did consider the costs and guests not caring about how much they use. This is why we would need them app driven and with 24/7 programming, so we/them could have more control of the usage. 

Something like these we've seen online - https://www.electricradiatorshop.co.uk/electric-radiators/radiators-by-brand/digi-line-radiators

It's pretty well insulated now and even though gas/oil would be the logical choice, we like the idea of electric radiators. No pipes fitted and each radiator can be controlled per room.

I guess we need to use a BTU calculator on the rooms first to see what output we'd need and see if it's even doable.

35 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Storage heaters, fan heater, panel heaters, infrared, and even oil filled electric heater are all resistance heater.

1 kWh of electricity in, 1 kWh of thermal energy out.

Have you considered Air to Air Heat Pumps or maybe a normal ASHP that will also do the hot water.

Yes, we are looking into Air Heat Pumps as an option too. A lot of people have recommended them.